Save RHS

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save RHS.

2014-08-20 14:38

The rotation schedule helps allow for getting more required classes as well as arts and music classes into student schedules without keeping them in school all day. This is important because Renaissance students come from all over the city, meaning some have very long daily commutes. Many need to be employed to help our their families and prepare for college. And it also allows time for extra-curricular activities such as arts and sports after school that have been empirically proven to positively shape young minds and bodies. It is also important to remember that keeping up the rigorous academic standards of RHS requires quite a bit of homework (and we have never had study hall as part of the school day.) I cannot tell you how integral my education at RHS was to my further academic studies and later career. It was an important scaffolding for things that were to come. Children in Detroit currently are denied so much. Please keep this beacon of hope intact.

#52 Changing one of Detroit's treasures?

2014-08-20 15:04

It is known that student participation in such departments like the fine arts and athletics is what interests college recruiters when examining students for acceptance. A well rounded student with not only brains, but something more to offer thier institution. Recruits know what Renaissance values and know what brilliant students are produced from this great school.

Renaissance is ranked the way it is for a reason. If you take away what makes it unique from the rest of Detroit Public Schools, it will become just another Detroit Public School. We need Renaissance to continue to foster the awesome students we have in the city of Detroit who are not as fortunate to attend a private school or do not have the zip code to attend a well funded public school but may have more brains than some of those students who are.

The rotating schedule is something that I've recommended to schools I've worked at because it caters to every student. If you're good in math in the morning or afternoon, you'll experience it both ways. It truly helped me not only in high school but also in college, as I knew which time of the day I'd do best in certain subjects.

As a graduate of Renaissance High School, I can say Renaissance truly challenged me, which is what I and every other bright student in a dull school needs. The challenges I faced prepared me in my career obtaining my Bachelor's degree and even currently as I am in the process of obtaining a Master's degree. Knowledge learned at Renaissance High School stays with you, from book knowledge to knowledge about things that will help you in the "real world". I thank all of my high school teachers for preparing me for success in college, work, and life. Honestly, many "top rated schools" do not provide their students with the knowledge that will allow them to be all around successful.

Renaissance is a blessing. Do not take those that make it what it is away. The youth of Detroit need more schools like Renaissance. There are enough already that are not pushing them how or where they should be.

2014-08-20 15:14

I am a Renaissance Dance workshop member and this would have been my fourth year in it. Dance is not just something we do just to have fun. Dance betters us in life. Ms. Gina Ellis was always talking about how we need to take the same dedication, drive, and focus we have towards dance and apply that to our academics. Through the years I have attended Renaissance I witnessed  how happy the art department made everyone including the people that weren't even involved in the arts. People enjoyed watching the drumline perform at football games or you could just walk down the performing arts hallway and hear the band playing, the choir singing, or just the dancers expressing themselves through movement. I was a very shy student before joining dance workshop, but all the other dancers I interacted with helped me find my voice. The performing arts department has added so many accomplishments to the schools name. Dance workshop has traveled around the country and even to Toronto to perform. The band performs in many parades and the choir has been on the news multiple times. I strongly believe that cutting the performing arts will lower the number of students that attended Renaissance. If it wasn't for dance at Renaissance I would have transferred schools my freshman year. It's not that I can't handle the academics because I can it's because I can go to a better school out of district and dance there.

2014-08-20 15:17

Please don't let this happen

2014-08-20 15:18

Renaissance High School was votes #1 in the city, our Fine arts department, rotating schedule, and teachers, are the reason for that. To create such a drastic change can cause my school(RHS) to go down hill. A lot of students, including myself, worked hard for the title that we have, taking away what matters most to us can hurt us, which effects the school drastically. #SaveRHS

2014-08-20 15:19

Save our  school !

2014-08-20 15:21

I see no reason for DPS to continue to rip and tear away at some of Detroit a finest institutions that give DPS a good name. Why do they continue to take away from the schools who are succeeding the Mose academically and in the arts? If money is seriously that much of a problem how about you shut down some of the older schools with terrible crime rates? Or start combining some more of the older schools? But touching one of the biggest and best known names in the city? Foul and selfish. Just think.

2014-08-20 15:22

My daughter graduated from this his school in 2008 & graduated from MSU in 2012. Now she works at GM in the IT department. Without schools like these whats is going to happen to our youth? We need this school & schools like these to ensure our children's furitures.

2014-08-20 15:34

I am a RHS alum and the very things that make Renaissance, Renaissance are the very things that are being taken away. Give future students the opportunity to have the same education I had. Renaissance students go on to achieve greatness, I don't know one student that is not successful in their own right, and that is because of Renaissance. They breed greatness.

2014-08-20 15:34

My daughter and godson are class of 2007 alums. Both earned full scholarships as a result of the education they received at RHS. Both have earned degrees from MSU, Tiffin University, Edinborough (Scotland) and Oxford (England). The music and fine arts programs have been phenomenal. Those in decision-making positions really need to rethink this.

#61 Re:

2014-08-20 15:42

#1: -  

I am a graduate of renaissance high school and our rotation schedule is not only tradition but preparation for college whether people realize it or not. It helps with homework load every night. As far as fine arts goes renaissance high school is well known for choir,  dance and band. Speaking from being a actual memeber of renaissance dance workshop it is a great experience.  It helps with discipline and just the full experience of high school. We're a number one school for a reason.! Renaissance is not just known because of our scores. It's also known through sports and fine arts. Taking that away is taking away the high school experience. 

Choose a nickname

#62 Subject

2014-08-20 15:46

hi

2014-08-20 15:54

Without fine arts and the art programs I was in at Renaissance High School I wouldn't be going to one of the best designing School's in the world. #Save RHS

#64 save rhs

2014-08-20 15:58

I am a recent graduate of renaissance high school and I found nothing wrong with renaissance. The rotation schedule is not only tradition but its actually preparation for college whether people realize it or not. The schedule now helps with the homework load for students. As far as fine arts go, speaking from a previous Renaissance Dance Workshop member it's the best experience. Fine arts are where some people like me discover their passion and talent for something.  Fine arts are where some students discover themselves!  Taking away sports teams and fine arts are not improving the school. It makes it worse for students because they will not have the experience of balancing activities and work load. Now Renaissance is a number one school for a reason. Its not just our test scores that were known for.  We're also are widely  known for our fine arts departments. Taking all that away is like taking away Renaissance High school.

2014-08-20 16:10

As a Renaissance High School alum, and former member of the symphony orchestra, I know the importance of performing arts. Many of my friends were in band, choir, and dance, and those outlets are what kept many students focused, happy, and able to push through difficult times. In addition, my alma mater is losing not only some of its finest educators, but also some of the city's finest educators. I beg you to please reconsider these decisions, there must be other alternatives. This school has prepared countless students with an education to thrive at the top universities in the nation.

2014-08-20 16:12

Sign the petition.

2014-08-20 16:13

Sign the petition.

k

#68 rhs

2014-08-20 16:14

Sign the petition

2014-08-20 16:28

I am an alumna of Renaissance and that school has helped me as well as my fellow alumni earn full scholarships to colleges around the country. I am now a student at Howard University, and I am going here completely FREE! Kevin Smith has been my Economics teacher for 3 years and he teaches not only economics, but valuable life lessons. I was also in the RHS Symphony Orchestra for 3 years and loved the lessons that it taught me. I am now even better with my teamwork and leadership abilities. Save Renaissance!!!! Please!!!!

2014-08-20 16:35

Please Sign! We need you!!! #SaveRhs

2014-08-20 17:11

Please save my Alma Mater. Renaissance is a high school in Detroit that makes us feel as if the city still has some good left in it. It helped me progress to the woman I am today and will help many others to be sucessful.

#72 Renaissance Alumni

2014-08-20 17:14

As an alumni (Class of 1989) I am shocked and saddened that you are removing the arts and extra class rotations.  THAT is what makes Renaissance the BEST school in DPS!  Please reconsider this decision.

2014-08-20 17:20

Quality education is not just math and english, its exposure to a diversity of subjects and activities.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-08-20 17:38

Netta_Bandz

2014-08-20 17:40

Please sign.! #SaveRHS