SUPPORT CORK AIRPORT

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition SUPPORT CORK AIRPORT.

#51 Cork needs more flights, and to have Independence from DAA/Subsidy on it's Debts

2015-02-16 10:41

*Debts/Independence
The main issue for Cork Airport, in Ireland's second City, is it's lack of independence from Dublin Airport Authority. It also needs some of the Debts written off - the airport was built in the days of the Celtic Tiger, we all know how that has affected the economy. Shannon has international flights across to USA, and is doing well, that is fine.

But Cork is still under the thumb of Dublin Airport Authority and has been forced to charge higher landing fees, and is not able to develop. How can it improve it's range of flights, offer cheaper flights etc in this situation? 

*The Wild Atlantic Way - supports major tourism, but if the Airport fails to bring in flights from major airports in Europe, and further afield, the tourism economy in Cork will be even more seriously affected than it already is, since the demise of the Swansea/Cork Ferry. Small businesses and hotels are working hard to improve the economy, but without the airport feeding tourists in, how can things improve?

*Connectivity - businesses in the wider Cork area frequently need to fly to UK, and Europe and vice versa, businesses have been set up here because the Airport is here. The Business Park at the Airport is important to local economy and for transport logistics.

Close family/social ties with the UK, myself included, I fly to the Uk almost every month from Cork. I could not do this without the airport operting daily flights to the Uk.
Many people don't have time to drive to drive for 4-5 hours, or to take a coach or train.

Without the airport functioning we would be seriously cut off in the S West. Many of us would consider Dublin or Shannon to be too far to drive on a regular basis. With airport as a hub, we could also fly 

* IAG proposed takeover of Aer Lingus could have serious implications for Cork airport - most flights out of Cork are from Aer Lingus. Willie Walsh may promise a 5 year guarantee, but would we trust him in the long run? Maybe we don't want the Regional flights changed, and the Heathrow slot reduced.

We want some positive action from the Government, from the DAA, TD's, Businesses, Chambers of Commerce, individuals, and soon before Cork Airport becomes even less viable. We have a great facilty on our doorstep, please support this petition.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2015-02-16 11:14

2015-02-16 18:32

Vital&essential to reverse the fortunes of Cork airport.
Retain,grow,return lost routes.
Support Cork-Heathrow route
Support restoration of Cork-Dublin route with seamless onward connectivity.
A strong Airport=a strong region.

2015-02-17 01:08

iT IS VITAL TO KEEP CORK AIRPORT OPEN TO SAVE JOBS AND ALLOW ME TO GET HOME AT A REASONABLE TIME WITHOUT FURTHER TRAVELING

2015-02-17 13:10

Absolute necessity for Cork

2015-02-18 13:24

Our local TDs have been very quiet on the issue of the airport. The key issue here is getting a deal similar to Shannon i.e. free from the DAA and the debt burden. Then the airport can try and compete with Shannon and Dublin. I don't agree with the assertion that we can fly from Dublin or Shannon when the second biggest urban area in the country has an airport.

2015-02-19 00:33

We need Corks airport!!!!

2015-02-19 09:51

Cork airport is vital to maintaining existing business and social life in the Region. We need government to remove debt and return to viability.

2015-02-19 12:10

Would be a huge loss. Always fly from cork.

2015-02-19 15:25

Cork airport is a lifeline, it saves a long and tiring drive back from Dublin at the end of a holiday. This drive which is often done on very little sleep and so can be dangerous. There is a very real risk of falling asleep at the wheel and not much in the way of places to stop and rest! The airport also feeds business in the south and South west and without the airport there would be a downturn here. Maybe that's exactly what Dublin wants. It's crazy there are no Cork/Dublin flights and that Dublin controls our airport. 

2015-02-19 17:00

I have flown into Cork airport for the last 40 years. My family all live in Cork and without this airport the journey would be dreadful. First the ferry service goes, now talk of the airport! What a waste of mooney on the new terminal as well. Time for the rebels to stand up and be counted!!

2015-02-19 19:14

Its disappointing to see such a modern airport strugglying. I'm from Limerick and its good to see Shannon making a recovery, but not at Corks expense. I dont know all passenger numbers, but with combined numbers at Cork and Shannon around 3.6 million passengers and 20 odd million in Dublin. Surely both Cork and Shannon should be fully able to compete with Dublin. I might be comming across as a bit of a dreamer here, but if Cork and Shannon were to command 5 million passengers each it would go a long way to maintaining strong economic growth for the 2 regions. I'm sure Dublin would still be doing ok if it had a meagre 15 million passengers.

2015-02-19 22:19

It is vital that Cork Airport manage its own affairs not the DAA. Cork really needs to develop transatlantic routes a few times every week as we have a lot of American companies in our area and we really do need to showcase our surrounding area for tourism and industry.

2015-02-20 10:02

If this airport closes it will destroy tourisum at the start if the Wild Atlantic Way which would be absolutely absurd, the amount of work developing this new tourisum
Initiative would be completely wasted.

2015-02-20 20:43

It's up to us, the people of Cork and Munster to rally around and send a message to our representatives in Dail Eireann and Local Councils that it's not all about Dublin. They were elected to represent us, not Dublin.

2015-02-20 23:03

We are the largest county and a larglypopulated area. Makes sense to have an airport
fizz

2015-02-21 10:24

We need more flights out of Cork to more places.We used to go tunisia from Cork airport, ,sat night @ 11:35pm and there was a hugh crowd getting on this flight, in 2008 /2009 these flights were stopped. We had to go to Dublin as with a lot of flights out of Cork aairport. And u ask "why have the numbers dropped out of Cork "??????? Put back on these routes and add more and everyone from Cork will fly from Cork!!!!! Instead of from Shannon r Dublin . Thank you.

2015-02-21 13:12

Billy adams

2015-02-21 17:28

Please sign the petition, a much needed service for the south.
Better to fight to keep it, rather than beg for an airport in a few years again.

2015-02-21 18:12

Cork Airport is a wonderful place. It's a real lifeline to us, as our daughter, son-in-law and grandsons live in West Cork. Visits are so much easier because of direct flights between Edinburgh and Cork. PLEASE keep it functioning.

2015-02-22 19:14

Its a great airport. It should say open to ease the traffic to the rest of the country. The IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) should choose which airline companies to land where

2015-02-22 21:54

It's clear no government in recent times has been interested in the proper development of Cork Airport. With an election coming up next year at the latest, and campaigning already begun, now would be a good time to remind them all of the broken promises.

2015-02-23 01:12

We'll only miss it when it's gone,where's our Cork polititions,I can't hear 'em,the silence is deafining.

2015-02-23 16:37

It in an integral part of tourism in Cork, Cork Airport should have it's debt suspended!

2015-02-23 19:51

Closing down this airport would be a great loss for the most beautiful part of Ireland. And a waste of good money that has been spent.