Petition against uranium mining in Kuusamo, Finland

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition against uranium mining in Kuusamo, Finland.

This post has been removed by the author of this petition (Show details)

2012-04-02 15:40

2012-04-03 10:22

Miksi Suomesta tehdään isojen kaivosyhtiöiden temmellyskenttä, jonne on hyvä tulla tekemään isot rahat, ja jättää meidän jälkipolville pelkät raiskatut maisemat!? Pitäisi pystyä katsomaan asioita hieman nenäänsä pidemmälle, ja miettiä, mitä näillä kaivostouhuilla on todella merkitystä pidemmän päälle, vuosikymmenien päähän katsottuna. Nyt pitää kantaa vastuu luonnosta ja sen jaksamisesta!

2012-07-02 12:17

Neuvostoliitto otti väkipakolla monilta kuusamolaisilta maat ja vedet 1940. Nyt Suomen löperö kaivoslaki sallii ylikansallisten yritysten ottaa haltuunsa ja turmella monien kuusamolaisten vastikemaat ja -vedet. Olipa kysymyksessä minkälainen kaivostoiminta tahansa, Kuusamon luovutetun alueen perillisenä en hyväksy sitä.

In 1940 the Soviet Union took by force the land and waters that belonged to inhabitants of Kuusamo. Now the Finnish Law for Mining is sloppy enough to allow supranational corporations to invade, utilize and spoil the substitutional land and waters given to those who lost their estates to the Soviet Union. As an inheritor of Forfeited Kuusamo I resist every attempt to take over my family belongings.
Diana

2012-09-06 20:01

It is right to stop uranium mining! Nuclear Power destroys the bioshere, the earth goes uninhabitable. Butterflies in Japan has mutated, what is to expect mutates next? In the end, humans are on the top of the food chain.
Katarina

#30 GREECE gives you solidarity - SAME PROBLEMS HERE !

2012-09-26 16:06

Dear friends from Finland!
We are a team of people living in Kilkis, Greece (north country) that try to stop the beginning of a gold-uranium mining in our town.
We like to send you a short historic about the facts, are mail adress and ask you for solidarity and communication. Unfortunately it is not only our town facing this problem. Also a part of Halkidiki, Komotini and Alexandroupoli have been solded out to foreign investors in order to transform us into open-pits.

More information:
metalleiastop.blogspot.com [for KILKIS]
antigoldgreece.wordpress.com [for HALKIDIKI]
xristhrakstop.blogspot.com [for KOMOTINI+ALEX.]

metalleiastop@gmail.com

An article in english by EJOLT.org (by that time we hadn't figured out the uranium extraction - only gold was mentioned by our state)
http://www.ejolt.org/2012/05/greeks-don%E2%80%99t-want-gold-a-normal-life-will-just-do/

PS: I forgot to mention that greek state and company people are refering to Finland and Sweden as mining examples that we should copy ! They forgot to mention the opposition

katarina

#31 Re: Stop Madness, Facebook and other petitions

2012-09-26 16:15

#4: jari n - Stop Madness, Facebook and other petitions

SAME, exactly the SAME mining "opportunities" for jobs and development are being forced to us in Greece:

4 different towns in north Greece : Halkidiki, Kilkis, Komotini, Alexandroupoli.

We try to inform people that this will become our END, because the mines are being place into our towns and vilages and because of that our id is agriculture and farming.

Find us in FB:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/metalleia.kilkis.stop/

also,

metalleiastop.blogspot.com

a sort history in english can be found in

http://www.ejolt.org/2012/05/greeks-don%E2%80%99t-want-gold-a-normal-life-will-just-do/

2012-10-18 15:27

please send this to EVERYONE you know
nico

#33 eco extremism again, causing damage while "meaning well"

2012-10-18 15:53

I think people that think gold has no other use than "vanity" and that are oblivious to the FACT that there is no such thing as "a uranium mine" (it is ALWAYS a byproduct of mining other metals) should shut up and put their energy in curing their lack of education in stead of working for extremist propagandas. Nuclear power is the only power source actually NOT contributing to the climate issue...the carbon production from mining is offset multiple times by the lack of carbon/particulate production of nuclear plants....

The road to hell is paved with good intentions is a very fit saying for this kind of nonsense.....and "the cause justifies the means" is most likely used by people here that still propagate blatant lies to further their (extremist) ideology...

ALL you are actually accomplishing with this nonsense is aiding the fossil fuel industry, as everywhere where the anti-nuke jihadi get their way you see an ENOURMOUS rise in power generation with fossil fuel, as you can plainly see (if you are able to accept information which contradict your extremist doctrine) in denmark, germany (over 20 new fossil plants to be built), belgium (multiple new fossil plants to be built)...

Good intentions do not change the fact you people are AIDING in the destruction of our planet due to being VERY vocal, VERY oppiniated, whilest being VERY uneducated...

to finish I'll counter this propaganda (seriously, you people just traded the word "foreigner" for "nuclear" and sound just like rightwing extremists, and use the  same methods of people manipulation) with some cold hard facts, verifiable by anyone who wants to bother http://bravenewclimate.com/2012/05/06/carbon-offsetting-uranium-mines/

http://bravenewclimate.com/2009/04/05/carbon-footprint-of-the-olympic-dam-uranium-mine-expansion/

I'm sure this will be a useless effor, so I wish you the best of luck continuing your lobbying for the coal/gas/petrol industry

Safe the Kuusamo

#34 Re: eco extremism again, causing damage while "meaning well"

2012-10-21 04:19

#33: nico - eco extremism again, causing damage while "meaning well"

Hi! This is not any favourite for fossile energy. It is Our nature protect cause they dont have purpose to use this uranium for power product, only this is harma for air and earth, when they explosive this area radon -gas going ewery place.... and it is poison. Project actually destroy many tourist place"s and there is coming more people without work. This is wery near protect national-park and some part our beautiful riwer, lakes, forest going to be dstroy, only for one rich lady for Australian creed and cruel people purpose it is gracy to come here and try to destroy place"s and then left ewerything mess. Then she start another country same thing! If you read more that articles this Dragon- Company then you understand why we collect this address Nico. Ok. Greeting"s for you Finland!I living 20 kilometres with nearest Nuclear power area. Not afraid that. I am against this project! Sorry my bad English try to understand :)

J Skippari

#35 Re: eco extremism again, causing damage while "meaning well"

2012-11-10 12:52

#33: nico - eco extremism again, causing damage while "meaning well"

That was so full of crap... Nuclear power is not without carbon, the mining, transport, and in the end storing all cost and pollute. I bet the storage was not calculaded. Of course still much less the coal power plant. Also this shit is maybe not our problem in the end as it is shipped to some poor countries or countries who just don't care.

And for sure it is not the only without contributing to the climate issue. The new stuff like solar and wind power is still expensive and production costs and does polute, but we do have stuff like Hydropower for example. Solar power technology is getting better all the time and that is the way we should go.

But back to the nuclear power. I mean which power source needs a plan of 100 000 years? Who is so naive to trust you can store radiating waste for 100 000 years? few hundred years ago we did not even have electricity, few hundred years more in history electricity would have been thought as black magic. Only few thousand years ago Jesus was supposed to walk on earth in the primitive human world. I guess 15 000 years ago was the last ice age and we have some strange animals roaming the lands. You can still see the power of the ice. Lakes and hills that were formed, and the land that is still raising after the pressure of the ice is gone. 50 000 years ago neardentals walked among the early homosapiens. Homo Sapiens left Africa and arrived to Eurasia some 125,000-60,000 years ago. And based on our "long" high tech history we can safely store this stuff for 100 000 year? I have my douts.

Still I am not too much against nuclear power plants, they do provide cleaner energy than for example coal power plants. Still it is not any magic of the atom. It is just another big steam engine. Then again nucler energy is not even the topic here.

History shows that these mines fuck up the nature, there are just too many examples. And as mentioned here the Uranium is just a byproduct and they are really after gold so before trolling around with your facts against "propaganda", get your facts straight... now you just seemed like a fundamentalist bully shouting at something you don't know anything about. Linking to some study of mining in the middle of Australian desert does not compare to the area we are talking about in the middle of lakes and rivers and bordering one of the most popular national parks in Finland. Every now and then I drink the ground water of that area and you can actually drink the water straight from the rivers... how about in the Australian desert? Lots of turists there near the mines? In our country with population only 5,421,827 Kuusamo was the 5th most visited touristic attraction during the year 2007. Appr. one million visitors in Kuusamo every year. Most popular place I guess is the Ruka ski resort right next to the planned mines and in 2010 169.000 people alone visited Oulanka National Park bordering the claims.

#36 Re: eco extremism again, causing damage while "meaning well"

2013-10-01 15:08

2013-12-14 14:10

Finland, don't destroy your true treasure - nature -for uranium, used mainly in weapons and nuclear power!!! It's against all Finnish cultural heritage, that's a true shame! We need more green energy not failing projects like the Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant in Eurajoki!

2013-12-14 14:27

You must fear the nuclear industry. The nuclear industry has frequently failed to enforce its own quality standards. One recent example in Finland is the Olkiluoto Nuclear Power Plant. The people in charge of this power plant obviously sacrificed quality in the name of price, schedule, etc. They hired random untrained construction workers and failed to perform important inspections. That is why we hear ominous stories of failing concrete, pipes, and other structures. What makes you think that this mining project will be different? Most likely, the company in charge of this mining project will sacrifice quality...which will forever pollute Kuusamo. Enjoy the disaster! However, if you want to save your town, stop this mining project at all costs! Support green energy instead of nuclear energy...

2014-03-04 14:32

Our community in Orkney, Scotland resisted this menace.It is not a clean operation; the ore has to be reduced using acids and solvents, there is radioactive dust that blows over the land, the tailings ponds break and release the acids and ore dust into the rivers and lakes and ground water, polluting the drinking water,the water for stock and for fish.
builders have been known to use the mining tailings to make concrete blocks and then you have a problem of radon gas in schools, domestic houses, offices and hospitals. radon gas, emitted from the ore, is radioactive and decays to a solid particle in the lungs ie polonium and this causes lung cancer.