Demand testing for Plutonium dust at Rocky Flats

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Demand testing for Plutonium dust at Rocky Flats.

2012-03-01 06:24

It simply makes sense to do an environmental impact study before digging up the site of plutonium burial.

2012-03-01 20:06

when i was a building inspector for boulder county i went with the county helath inspector tom ,lemire who did a basic radiological check on the county line between jefferson and boulder county. the geiger counter tom had was off the top of the readings the entire distance of the county line.
i'm against building anything that would stir up massive amountws of radiaoactive dust.

2012-03-02 23:42

Let's keep our community healthy. Nuclear radiation is one of the most detrimental environmental toxins known. Knowingly exposing our communities to radiation is foolish and irresponsible.

2012-03-02 23:51

i demand testing for plutonium. i do now want to find out after the fact that plutonium went airborne and now many of us have health issues as a result. can't we just slow down and be more careful/cautious about the health of our environment and citizens?

2012-03-03 23:59

This is definitely a very unhealthy idea--to put a road thru there. Plutonium dust & nuclear waste cause cancer--plain & simple--we don't need to breathe it in, most especially for our children. Many people who worked at Rocky Flats got cancer, some died from it. It is not worth the risk.

2012-03-30 05:07

I worked at NCAR with Dr. Edward Martell and Stuart Port. The project was the radon daughter project. I tried to get air and water samples from people who lived off of 93 back in 1979, and they did not want to know the level of radioactivity they were being exposed to. Please look to his research for support for low level alpha radiation induced mutations and chronic health effects. The standards are not necessarily what is safe when looking at long term chronic effects. There are even higher and more widespread health risks than is being talked about here in this article. Martell specifically addresses air borne particles. The amounts that you are talking about being stirred up would pose both immediate and long term risks. It seems to me, that the entire effected area needs to be dug up and separated into smaller masses and entombed, using similar methodology to disassembly of nuclear power plants The birds will be spreading the insoluble as well as soluble particles, as a simple example of the difficulty of containment of contaminated above ground particles. The irony of calling this a National Wildlife Preserve can be changed into a truth with conscious focused effort.

2012-04-15 22:53

After reading "The Ambushed Jury" I realized that this area can not be safe.
No movement of surface soil should be disrupted...Ric Rawlins

2012-06-04 06:59

Digging to construct a tollway where Rocky Flats plutonium enriched fires have been known to blow in and settle is NOT a good idea.

2013-05-08 02:49

WHY are they building houses so close? What is the status now>>?

2013-12-05 19:51

tried to sign this petition but it wouldn't load. Please advise. Ric Rawlins

2014-05-18 01:25

I was NEVER told about this issue until AFTER I committed to a lease in Broomfield when I relocated. This is horrific and NOTHING should ever disrupt this land ever again. Shame on you DOW and Colorado for allowing it to happen in the first place. Now fix it and leave it alone. Thank you.

2014-06-15 17:39

Historical amnesia is how I recently heard this issue referred to as people who didn't act to help shut down Rocky Flats in the 80's know little to nothing about it and even those that do have forgotten the true ramifications that the DOE has not disclosed publicly the levels of contamination in the soils surrounding the plant. Testing is necessary not only to stop the Jefferson Parkway but to also make Arvada accountable for allowing Candelas homes to be built on polluted soils. Just because we won't see cancer and other sickness for twenty to thirty years from now does not give them license to turn a blind eye to the likelihood of that happening to the residents and workers there now.