WHEN GENOCIDE BECAME "FAMINE" : IRELAND, 1845 - 1850

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition WHEN GENOCIDE BECAME "FAMINE" : IRELAND, 1845 - 1850.

2015-10-24 12:34

All land is holy, all people are sacred.

2015-10-24 12:59

Because I belive that the British starved the Irish at that time

2015-10-24 13:05

My Great Great Grandparents came to this Country at this time

2015-10-24 13:22

Ireand's lush land was considered to be the larder for the British army during the Napoleonic Wars which ended not too many years before The Great Hunger or Irish Holocaust. I consider Ruth Dudley an anglophile who has made her living off glorifying everything British.

2015-10-24 13:31

My Grand Father and many relatives from my Grand Mother side were born in Ireland and migrated to Canada and then the U.S. I am an Irish Citizen and I am very proud of this fact. History must be told correctly so we can learn from it.

2015-10-24 13:33

It was not famine!

2015-10-24 13:33

It's about time the name was changed, it was the deliberate killing of the Irish Race by the British authorities by starvation. The Nazis did the same to the Jewish Race by shooting, starvation and the gas chambers. Keep up the good work.

2015-10-24 13:35

The word 'famine' does not represent what happened in Ireland, and is inappropriate.

2015-10-24 13:36

My family suffered due to their extreme poverty. They lived in Derry County. My father left Ireland in 1924 for a better life in Canada. He would sign this petition if he were alive. I sign for him and all the McFalones that suffered.

2015-10-24 13:51

For love of truth!

2015-10-24 13:52

England committed 700 years of genocide-race murder against the Irish and the world must be informed about these English atrocities.

2015-10-24 13:58

I signed because I believe that Famine is the incorrect word to describe the events of what happened and leads people to have the incorrect view of what happened

2015-10-24 14:27

My grandmother told stories of how her family had to bring their all of their vegetables and farm produce to the British soldiers, leaving very little for themselves. I don't know how the survived.

2015-10-24 14:34

Imperial England did not care about suffering, so I would not be too quick to exonerate their actions.

Compare the deaths of women and children in the concentration camps during the South African "Boer War" against the English

"Great Hunger" will stop people from just disregarding the tradgedy

2015-10-24 14:34

The world should know more about what happened to the Irish
people during this time
I was born on Achill Island Co Mayo where the the the the Deserted Village stands today due to the Great Hunger

2015-10-24 14:35

The world should know more about what happened to the Irish people during this time I was born on Achill Island Co Mayo where the the the the Deserted Village stands today due to the Great Hunger

2015-10-24 14:39

It was the single biggest disaster to ever hit Ireland and it took over 150 years for its people to regain their self confidence and loose their inferiority complex.

2015-10-24 14:42

Beacause the name needs to fit the plight of the people of Ireland.

2015-10-24 14:50

It was genocide, The British government wanted to lower the number of Irish, and it was cheaper to starve them than to shoot them.
The only consolation for me is that all of those responsible are also dead.

2015-10-24 14:54

The more I learn of the facts- the greater my passion buils to expose the Genocide perpetuated by the British to the light of day.

2015-10-24 15:06

I have believed after reading history books and thinking about it that there were enough potatoes etc produced in Ireland to feed every one but the greedy landlords wanted the big money for the produce so they were taken to England to let the Irish die or emigrate

2015-10-24 15:16

Great to see this action.  The AOH and Committee for the Commemoration of the Victims of the Irish Hunger has, since the 1990's been advocating the term "Hunger" as opposed to "Famine" since the dictionary meaning of Famine is "no food available".  As others have noted, and author Christine Kinealy has documented, there was food available in Ireland but not for Irish peasants.  It was collected and transported under army guards past the starving Irish enroute to England.  "Great Irish Famine" is a British propaganda term. Since the research and many publications from the 1990's we can now confidently refer to this inhuman government induced calamity as "Genocide".  However, the term "Holocaust" will never be excepted, as it is established as a signature title for the WWII treatment of largely Jews and Catholics by the Nazi regime.  Perhaps, if a photographic history of the Hunger were available at the time this perception could change.

Jim Gallagher

2015-10-24 15:42

My great great grandmother was kicked off her land in Co. Kilkenny several years after her husband died in the famine. I saw the British land census for 1849 - 1850. In 1849, she was listed as the resident, and others with the same last name were on surrounding properties. In 1850, the designation on all of them is "land empty, house down". The owner was James Scully, Esq. The families made their way to the coast and eventually to the U.S. Another gr. gr. gr. grandmother, born 1830 in Thinvaun, Co. Kilkenny, wound up in the U.S. also. I visited Thinvaun and talked to some of the people there. There are few farmers in the area to this day, and these people said there were thousands before the Hunger. I will never let go of this. There was sufficient food in Ireland. The British took it out. They knew people were starving. Like the U.S. Republican party of today, they would rather people die than do anything to help them. Despicable.

2015-10-24 15:46

I have copied this article and distributed it to my Irish and Irish American E Mail distribution lists (with proper credit). I have also sent a copy to the Irish Hunger Museum, Quinnipiac University,  in Hamden, CT, USA.

Jim Gallagher

2015-10-24 15:53

I agree but I think that you should use An Ghorta Mhóir or the more easily readable & pronounceable An Gorta Mór as this is what most aware Irish Americans use & locally it was just a few yrs ago carved in stone on a beautiful Celtic cross. The same Irish Americans would like to or dream of or might take the many new Irish language classes popping up, but your spelling is a real 'turnoff'. Most English speaking people will frankly(sic) be totally confused by : 'An tOcras Mór'. I get it it but most Irish Americans I know will be baffled by it & embarrassed that they don't know it & see it as 'alien', not out of prejudice, but because, frankly, it is a ghastly mistake by scholars to not have come up with different letters or symbols to express Irish rather than the mh, mb, bh's etc., that they came up with out of some sort of Academic anger to look different than English. Ben Franklin & the early Americans changed spellings on purpose to be different, but they were still recognizable & not as 'Esoteric' looking. My mother who was born speaking Irish could read the old books in the older Irish alphabet but said it was easier for her to learn to speak, read & write English than it was for her to learn to read her native Irish in 1919 in the 'new modern' spellings.