Canoe Wales Open Access

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Canoe Wales Open Access.

2014-02-10 10:30

Please re consider charging.
It will be used as a precedent against all WW paddling.
To me it looks like a free gift to anti access campaigners and set canoeing back.
CW, have you been infiltrated by anti paddlers?

2014-02-10 11:52

A national governing body should campaign for access to natural resources and their action should be consistent across all rivers.

2014-02-10 12:52

Understand the centre needs to fund itself and don't mind fees for parking/facilities, but not for access to the river.

2014-02-10 15:33

Happy to pay for facilities but access to the water must be free. Wales should be setting a precedent for England to follow.
TiredOldPaddler

#30 Bye Bye CW

2014-02-10 20:53

Can pay won't pay. No-one owns the river and I don't need a shower that badly.

#31 Re:

2014-02-10 21:51

#26: -

'CW, have you been infiltrated by anti paddlers? ' looks likely. Sounds like some people have stopped going kayaking, obviously lost the plot!

A worrying new direction by CW, NWWC methinks.

Pay to paddle? Never!

Pay to park? At the right price!

Pay for facilities? What facilities? Toilets and a cafe?

Please don't get confused who owns the river now.

2014-02-10 22:48

Access to rivers and paddling rivers should be free. Water descends from the sky and passes down the river and we float on this water in our plastic tubs, the water ends up in the sea. So who are you to charge me... God?

2014-02-11 07:08

Time this issue was finally sorted.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-02-11 09:35

#35 Ltd companies

2014-02-11 10:03

For info, a number of clubs and volunteer organisations are having Ltd put after their name. This comes with certain types of charitable status and does not mean the organisation is minting, nor floating on the Stock Exchange, but that the liability is limited, usually to a pound, for the Trustees and members.

It's the way forward for Canoe Clubs who wish to protect their volunteer committees from onerous financial liabilities. Other benefits include rate limiting to 20% at the moment and gift aiding. An organisation does not need to be registered with Companies House.

Check out Charitable Incorporated Organisation on your favourite search engine or get in touch with me via Bradford and Bingley Canoe Club if you want to know more. www.riveraireguidebook.co.uk

And also if you want a 4m slalom kayak.

Wendy

2014-02-11 16:05

Petition signed, I for one would pay small increases in parking, and/ or use of facilities if they became necessary to keep the treweryn running as well ad it does but imposing a blanket 7 / 14 pound per head is ridiculous and will stop many paddlers from using / supporting the treweryn centre. It would be a shame if this happens as I think the treweryn centre is a great place. Some of us would be forced to leave boats by the roadside and paddle without permission using the bala car park. This would be arkward and would stop us from supporting the centre its self. I hope this does not happen, it would be a sad thing..terry wilson

2014-02-11 20:00

For a number of years myself and various mates have headed to Wales from Licolnshire in order to run the Tryweryn. We used to be happy to pay the original fee before it was abolished a few years ago.

We thought it a fantasic decision to wave the fee to paddle as we were always happy to change on the bank and pay the parking fee.

Now, with the news of a £15 charge to use the facility, I'm sure that there will be alot of us making use of more local waters or other rivers should we visit Wales in future as this charge, on top of fuel and a parking fees makes the Tryweryn less viable.

#38 Re: Bye Bye CW

2014-02-11 22:34

#39 Re: Re: Bye Bye CW

2014-02-11 22:36

#40 Charges

2014-02-11 22:44

From a policy of the rivers free its a Natural resource to fifteen quid plus car ....nope ta other rivers await. OR just put in ninja style and catch me if you can. Irresponsible ? Old Indian proverb, treat me like an idiot and I,ll act like one. Inshallah that's how we roll in suffolk.
mickey

2014-02-12 00:14

Agree 100%

2014-02-12 08:56

The Tryweryn does not belong to anyone and as a result no-body should make a profit from the river itself.

2014-02-12 10:18

A very dear issue to a friend of mine

2014-02-12 10:38

Stand up for access to the rivers for people who stand up for you!

2014-02-12 11:11

Happy to pay for car park. Not forced to pay for facilities.
Mikers

2014-02-12 11:43

Happy to pay to park, on a one fee per car basis (not per person).
Happy to pay for use of the facilities, per person, toilets, showers changing rooms.

But if any portion of the fee charged includes a charge for use of the river, I will not pay any of the fee. CT have no right to control navigation and therefore no right to impose a charge.

Until this portion of the fee is removed, I'll not be able to pay when visiting CT.

It's simple. Remove the fee for use of the water and your client base will be happy. Leave it in situ and you'll see a mass boycott of all fees.

2014-02-12 11:54

We spend 2 weekends a month in Wales - we sleep in our van - leave no trace and contribute to the local economy . We very much value the access we currently enjoy and do so responsibly. Under these proposals we would have our activities restricted and we would in all likelihood we would have to look elsewhere in the country to enjoy our pursuits . ( kayaking biking walking )!
River Rother Rover

2014-02-12 12:12

I'm happy to pay for parking and any other facilities that I use but not for access on the river which is my legal right and must be free.

2014-02-12 12:46

I don't normally sign petitions and have only used the Tryweryn twice in 25 years (25 years apart) so this is not about saving myself money, it is about ensuring that CW maintain their principles and do not end up setting dual standards.
I can see there is room for debate over whether the upper Tryweryn is considered a man made site or a natural river but the double U-turn in policy from CW without any apparant consultation with its members is unnacceptable.

2014-02-12 15:20

Open access should be a basic right of way and not a privilege.