Keep Original NISD Proposed Boundaries for Ellison Elementary

/ #13 #13

2013-12-13 04:46

As a new parent to the community, I must simply say that I am quite disappointed to see the actions of the adults from a community deemed as "reputable". My initial intent was to sign this petition, however, the statements being made visible online depict the character of some adults involved in this process and is quite unfortunate. Who are ANY of the parents in this entire community, from both sections of I-10, really advocating for? Why is it not for the best interest of ALL children? If parents do not wish to attend LSE, why not request for a waiver such as those being provided to the parents of McAndrews Elementary who are given the option to opt out of attending Ellison and remain in McAndrews? Not all parents of these neighborhoods find this final decision conflicting. It's also quite disturbing to see an initiated comment about the "apartment kids" in this process and in public eye's view; since that is such the case-wouldn't it make the most sense that they attend a school nearest to them (Ellison)? That comment itself would deem for just as much backlash as the comment made about staff and/or any other parents creating an unfit environment. Witnessing disgruntled parents voicing their rights on campus grounds while picking up my own child in front of the school today is what is toxic. Parents who want their child to attend Ellison should indeed have a choice; however, the push for the first proposal seems a bit telling as well of the parents on this petition. Suggesting that an established school may fail at first because of the removal of a significant portion of the student population-a school for that matter that parents in ALL involved neighborhoods once took much pride in is even more telling. Careful with the idea of flirting with segregation- it is quite unconstitutional and a petition is not needed for that. What a shame it is to see adults portray themselves in this light and manner. What a disheartening thing to witness; for our children to witness. #faithinpublicschoolsshattered