Save RHS

/ #16

2014-08-19 23:28

In my experience, I've learned that having a well rounded curriculum is paramount to activating the full potential of a young growing mind.

Training the right and left brain is extremely important to high performing professionals. It is not enough to have only book knowledge. Future executives and professionals need to develop emotional intelligence in order to gain the cooperation of those in the world they will face in the future.

Programs like band and dance are proven to have cognitive benefits that transfer over into academic aptitude.

Renaissance is a gem within the DPS and it is presumptuous to assume the school will maintain its quality and be resilient to these cuts. I would recommend looking into the qualifications of whomever made this decision to cut these programs and get a second or third opinion.

If there aren't enough funds to go around, it makes more logical sense to maintain the quality of the best performing schools, than to dilute their programs and funding which will result in an even lower average for quality of education. This is a race to the bottom. We need to incentivize performance and keep nurturing our students who demonstrate higher than average academic aptitude so that they can compete in a global job market.

Renaissance has consistently produced great leaders and professionals who go on to achieve great and noteworthy things. When the cameras are on them they can say they came from DPS.

I hate to think about where those exceptional students will be sent by their parents who demand high quality education for their students. They will likely not stay in DPS or reside in Detroit to comply with the law.

We need to reverse the brain drain that has been happening for decades in our city and at the very least retain the gems we do have.

Isn't that worth thinking about?