Petition for Resignation of Wausau Supt. Kathleen Williams

Quoted post

Wausau Citizen

#20 I REALLY wish this were written differently

2013-10-14 18:02

I would sign this petition in a heartbeat if it didn't include the pension issue. That was poor judgment on the part of the author of this petition. Any one of us would accept double salary if given the opportunity. Let's be honest about that. That is not Dr. Williams fault. It is a legal opportunity given to her and a secondary issue that clouds the other, more important issue at hand. I feel Dr. Williams should be fired for poor leadership and hiding an agenda from the board, as well as loss of confidence from her community, but I cannot sign a petition that also includes the pension issue.

Sorry!

Replies

#21 Re: I REALLY wish this were written differently

2013-10-14 19:24:25

#20: Wausau Citizen - I REALLY wish this were written differently 

I agree with the author of this comment.  I would gladly sign the petition as well but double dipping is not the issue.  Many individuals seek alternate employement after retirement and collect whether a public employee or not.  Her retirement is based on previous employment served not todays employment.  Plus its two different retirement systems. 

I still agree with the majority that Supt Kathleen Williams should step down. 

Wausau Citizen
The author of this petition

#33 Re: I REALLY wish this were written differently

2013-10-15 16:15:24

#20: Wausau Citizen - I REALLY wish this were written differently

#20: Thank you for your comments.  However, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

We believe that there is indeed relevance in pointing out the fact that Dr. Williams, who still maintains a residence in Illinois as well as one here in Wisconsin, has an annual income of over $333,000 between the two states and is responsible for making decisions which affect the education of the children of Wausau area taxpayers.

Contrast Dr. Williams’ income with the per capita income of a Wausau taxpayer, which is $20,227.

A 2011 Chicago Tribune investigation found that crossing state lines is one of the most lucrative ways for retired superintendents to collect multiple government checks without breaking pension rules, according to salary and pension data. Across the border, the retirees are free to work as full-time public school superintendents and collect Illinois pensions.

Dr. Williams has spent her entire career in Illinois and retired at age 61 in 2010 as the Superintendent of the East Maine School District, which is less than 20 miles north of Chicago.  It is also worth noting that she applied for the Superintendent positions in the Oshkosh and Kohler School Districts in 2010 and was turned down by both of these Wisconsin districts.

This information leads one to question the motives of a now 64-year old lifelong Illinois resident and whether she is the “right fit” for our district.  In light of her recent actions, we now read between the lines regarding her 2010 statement to a Wausau Daily Herald reporter when she was hired in Wausau: “The big difference for me is that when you’re doing it post-retirement, the stress level is not there.  You are doing it because you truly want to be there, and you are choosing to give up not working to be able to do what you love.”