Keep Original NISD Proposed Boundaries for Ellison Elementary

Quoted post

S.Myers

2013-12-12 05:13

I'd like to ask each of the eleven NISD School Board members to take a moment and reflect on the vote they made last night to act on the irrational desires of a vocal minority. The original boundary decision was seen by most of us affected by it (i.e., those of us West of Interstate 10) as a thoughtful, deliberate decision by a hard-working school board looking at what's best for its students, and we supported it! But rather than stick with their original, well-made decision that was based on sound research and hard work by a respected boundary committee, the board has now made themselves appear wishy-washy, capricious, and subject to the whims of an elitist and vocal minority. I'm personally appalled and shocked. Those of us in the "silent majority" that consist of the families in the neighborhoods West of I-10 actually trusted the school board to stick with their original decision to align the neighborhoods West of I-10 with Ellison Elementary School. We are apparently guilty of placing misguided and blind trust in a complacent school board. I sincerely hope the eleven members of the board can look back on last night's vote and realize they were swayed into making an emotional decision based on irrational arguments. If they changed their mind once, they can surely change it again to right this sinking ship and salvage their reputation as a board capable of being trusted to make decisions that are in the best interests of their constituents.

Replies

#5 Re:

2013-12-12 13:44:37

#4: S.Myers -

Well said!

S.Myers

#7 Re:

2013-12-12 16:32:49

#4: S.Myers -

For the sake of accuracy, the school board member count I stated in my comment above is not correct. I wasn't at the meeting, but I've since learned that the seven NISD Board of Trustees members voted 5-2 to disregard the proposal submitted to them by the Boundary Committee, and instead selected an alternative option that was favored by the vocal minority we all thought would be heard as noise. Again, 5 NISD Board of Trustee members chose to disregard a proposal that was unanimously approved by the Boundary Committe in an 11-0 vote as the BEST option. I would ask those 5 members to reflect on why it is they voted to ignore the recommendation of a panel they trust to devote an enormous amount of research into considering all the alternatives and present them with the best option.