Reinstate CrossFit Tricolour

Quoted post

Daniel Lugo

#9 How About NO

2014-01-06 04:16

Kipping pull-ups, brought to you by CF: the correct way to do an incorrect pull-up. Have fun with rhabdo and what not.

Food for thought: KKK members view themselves as a "community"; we view them as a cult.

My vote is with ARC, they know what they're doing. Being fit should come from one's own self-initiative. If you need to be motivated by cultists and have money extracted from you (in addition to your student activity fees you've already paid) before you move your bum, you're as good as being in the same weak condition a few years later with your unsustainable model.

This fitness fad couldn't expire sooner.

Replies

Emma Graham

#17 Re: How About NO

2014-01-06 19:46:10

#9: Daniel Lugo - How About NO

The kip is a gymnastic movement, not a Crossfit movement.  By adding it to the pull up you are able to do them more quickly, they are not meant to be a test of strength.  I have never been to a Crossfit box and seen a trainer teaching their members how to kip their pull ups before they were able to do them properly from a deadhang position first. I have seen someone fly off a pull up bar at a regular gym trying to kip without having instruction or the grip strength to hold onto the bar in the first place.

In my 4 years of Crossfit I have also seen a case of rhabdo. My good friend NOT affiliated to Crossfit, ran his first 10k and then went out on an all-night bender. Did you know excessive drinking can cause rhabdo too? - Better run shut down Stages too!

It was my own self-initiative to join Crossfit because I needed to be accountable to someone other than myself for personal reasons and unfortunately I didn't have the 6000 dollars in the bank to get a personal trainer at the gym.  Crossfit was the best alternative.

I hope fitness as a fad doesn't expire soon; I would hate to see how high student health insurance costs would go with a group of inactive un-fit students.

Your KKK reference is also hilarious. Not at all original. If there was a cult that promoted physical well-being, health, and happiness while supporting members and non-members in their individual pursuits, I would probably join that too…

#27 Re: How About NO

2014-01-07 14:53:15

LOL @ Daniel, what a misinformed idiot you must be. I'm concerned that someone such as yourself is in dire need to get off the sofa, put down the extra large diet coke and get some excercise aside from your left arm. Please use your computer to inform yourself... Quitting the KKK would also be a desireable thing.

Lowcountry Crossfitter

#34 Re: How About NO

2014-01-08 22:48:44

Take it in ladies and gents - another soft body who just doesnt have the willpower to adhere to such a demanding program.

#54 Re: How About NO

2014-01-09 00:34:03

Have you tried CrossFit? Apparently you only read the fad news about it. My husband is a great example of the success of CrossFit. He was told he was pre-diabetic a few years ago. He followed a low glycemic diet and joined a regular gym. Took off about 30 pounds and then wanted to get more built and scuplted, some more muscle. He didn't think the trainers at the gym where he was were prime candidates because they weren't examples of what he wanted his results to be. And I wasn't a fan of dishing out a couple of thousand dollars a month for who knows how long for a personal trainer. So online he went and we've found CrossFit has the perfect balance of costing a little more than a regular gym, because you basically have a personal trainer, but a much more complex and effective workout program. The average person is spending their life studying (if they are a student), or raising a family and/or running their business. To be an expert at what would help them fitness wise would be impossible, relying on experts is key. So CrossFit is a little more because that advanced level of expertise is necessary compared to a 'regular' gym.