Save RHS

Quoted post

2014-08-19 20:47

Hsjdjdj

Replies

#49 Re:

2014-08-20 14:22:29

#1: -  

I graduated from Renaissance almost 30 years ago, in one of the first classes.  I believe in the value of a well-rounded education, and that should be enough.  But even leaving that aside - looking just at whether the school does what it's supposed to do in giving people opportunities - this is incredibly short-sighted.  College admissions is a VERY competitive process today.  We should be looking for well-rounded students, but more importantly they are looking for well-rounded students.  By taking those opportunities away, you are hurting their academic opportunities in the future.  "Frills" versus "academics" is a false choice if you're trying to get people into competitive colleges. 

I was not a great performer, but I sang at Renaissance, and it pushed me in a way that other courses didn't.  Physics was easy for me, but MSVA was hard.  That led me to sing in college, where I wound up running a large student organization.  That experience was something I talked about a lot in interviews coming out of law school.  And I still sing for fun in a community choir today.  This is the wrong thing to do on many levels.

#61 Re:

2014-08-20 15:42:09

#1: -  

I am a graduate of renaissance high school and our rotation schedule is not only tradition but preparation for college whether people realize it or not. It helps with homework load every night. As far as fine arts goes renaissance high school is well known for choir,  dance and band. Speaking from being a actual memeber of renaissance dance workshop it is a great experience.  It helps with discipline and just the full experience of high school. We're a number one school for a reason.! Renaissance is not just known because of our scores. It's also known through sports and fine arts. Taking that away is taking away the high school experience.