Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Quoted post

Mom03

#25 MomO3

2012-01-11 01:53

The break was FABULOUS! We spent Christmas with family, enjoyed our decorations, family time, vacation and cleaned up COMPLETELY re-energized to start the 2nd half. Glad HS finals were done by break and the kids could decompress. Have one in each school age ready for the next semester!

Everyone's got an opinion and if money is the reason, then don't change. If a modified calendar (Feb break or long weekend) is possible, then so be it, if a balanced calendar has merit, then fine, BUT AT LEAST MAKE IT ABOUT EDUCATION.

Seriously people are BEGGING to cut their breaks to get them out of their hair? Really? Since when did being the biggest influence in your child's life take second to ANYTHING else? This whole debate is asinine! People - WAKE UP!

Replies

#31 Re: MomO3

2012-01-11 15:41:00

#25: Mom03 - MomO3

I'm concerned less with "getting kids out of my hair" (e.g. long breaks) than I am with less time being spent in the classroom.  When I was a kid, we didn't get nearly this much time out of school (and we walked uphill in the snow both ways, etc etc).  The problem with the current calendar is that there is too. much. time. off.  We are just getting off of a two week+ break, and now there is ANOTHER day off?  After being back 4 days?   Where is the sense in this?

#292 Re: MomO3

2012-01-20 15:27:18

#25: Mom03 - MomO3 I think that perhaps you are misundterstanding the impetus behind parents preference for a shorter duration of breaks.  Both of our children benefitted tremendously from the balanced calendar year.  I was at both of their sshools the week before the Christmas break. The children had an explosive amount of energy the entire week( the teachers looked liked they were ready to enter the nearest pshychiatric unit, God bless them all).  I don't see how much learning was taking place at that point.  Subsequently, after a near 3 week break, it was almost like returning from summer break.  Another week of readjusting to school.  Our children have a much heavier work load than did I at in elementary and middle school.  I can't speak to High School, haven't gotten thete yet.  From my personal viewpoint, last year our children were more motivated during the school year.  They worked harder for a few weeks, knowing they would have a respite shortly.  For me, and the other parents I've spoken with, the desire for a balanced calendar is absolutely about academeics and our children's mental well being.   Our children feel overwhelmed by their work load at times; 2 months without a break seems like an eternity to them.  Our middle shcool son often is working on projects and studying throughout the weekend. Many afternoons he begins his homework as soon as school lets out and works until bed time. He frequently puts in a longer day than his father.  I'm not sure what parents you are speaking with that would lead you to the conclusion that we just want to get the kids out of our hair.  I thourougly enjoy having the kids home, taking a break from the hectic schedule.  Frankly, I found your comments insulting.  I strive everyday to help my children be the best they can be.  To infer that we, as parents, are motivated by our own selfish needs is deeply offensive.