We demand better conditions
· Wifi: As UCT students we do not have Eduroam nor uncapped internet services off campus at the residence, we only get 20GB per month which is definitely NOT enough.
· Computer lab/Study facilities: We do not have a computer lab or alternate technological means to do school work which includes computers and printers. We have a study space that accommodates only 8 students for a residence accommodates 187 students at its maximum.
· Laundry & Laundry Tokens: 4 tokens are given per student per month, which means a student can only do laundry twice a month which highly unhygienic. The machine system works on a token a load mechanism for both the washer and the dryer.
· Fridges: 1 or 2 fridges are provided per floor of 48 students to share. These are medium-sized fridges that are too small to accommodate as many students on each floor.
· Jammie Shuttle: The stop is a 5-8 minute walking distance which is unsafe at night and during winter times. The jammie is shared with staff members and students from other residences, and therefore the supply of jammies does not match the demand of students.
· Cleaning: Cleaning services are outsourced; the service of the cleaners is below par. Showers are not cleaned regularly and sanitary bins are not emptied regularly as well.
· Fees billing: We were not formally notified that there would be an increase in residence fees. We are paying the same amount of fees as another UCT residences but we do not receive the same facilities, resources, and services.
Stanhope House Commitee Contact the author of the petition
|Log in to manage your petition.|