Keep Athabasca University in Athabasca

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Keep Athabasca University in Athabasca.

2015-08-18 16:55

The University of Athabasca is a vital part of the town and area. To lose the jobs associated with the university would be a dramatic setback to the town. Keep Athabasca U. in Athabasca!

2015-08-18 17:09

It was my home town where friends and family still reside.

2015-08-18 17:40

Oilfield, farming, logging and AU is what keeps our town and it's local businesses running. Losing one of four may prove devasting to our small but amazing community.

2015-08-18 18:19

I work and live in Athabasca.

2015-08-18 18:49

Because I live in Athabasca and work at AU (and I like it that way)! Also, overcoming the hurdles of small town living for a post-secondary distance education institution is an ideal setting for understanding the student population we serve. Athabasca is a great ideological fit for Athabasca University.

2015-08-18 19:08

I'm from the town of Athabasca, I've worked at Athabasca University, and a lot of my family and husband's family is currently employed there. I understand how much Athabasca's economy and infrastructure would be effected if AU were to move the main campus elsewhere.

2015-08-18 20:01

It is good and sensible to keep AU in Athabasca. It is economical to run the university from Athabasca. AU is the mainstay of the local economy. AU should adopt a business-oriented approach toward the natural resources of this town. For example, AU could develop and run a River Regatar where post-secondary institutions could compete every summer, bringing visitors to the town to boost demand for local goods and services and bring more entertainment to the town
Athabascan

2015-08-18 21:04

I can't describe to you how incredible this town is and how much is going on. There are pottery clubs, bands, a folk music society, a very high quality theatre and artists all over the community. Athabasca is very special community and it's a town worth fighting for.

I also want to thank all of the people who work at AU and live outside of Athabasca for all of their support, it's telling that the only reply for calls to keep jobs here is to try and turn us against each other. 

2015-08-18 21:25

We Outsource enough of our talents and jobs... Now the Schools Admin??? It's just got to stop somewhere.

2015-08-18 23:29

Athabasca needs the University. Without it, the town loses jobs, homes, and it is a terrible idea to move. Who profits from it moving? Probably the same people who want to move it.

2015-08-19 00:04

Because if Athabasca liars the University it loses more then jobs it loses the cultureand the community.

2015-08-19 13:37

I want to help ensure employment opportunities for the people of Athabasca.

2015-08-19 14:58

Where else should the University of Athabasca be but in Athabasca????

2015-08-19 16:04

No reason to move this University. All the infrastructure is already here. It has proven itself already that it can do the job from this site. The Board of Governers, acting President, and other top officers need to realize this and bring the jobs back to Athabasca instead of allowing positions to be worked out of Edmonton.
It is realized that we do need some positions in Edmonton, but many could be situated in this beautiful town and county that is only a short distance from Edmonton and all that it offers. Costs are lower here for both the University and it's workers.

2015-08-19 17:09

With a great commuity in Athabasca and the surrounding area. I am an AU worker and love to work here. It's a nice atmosphere right there in the Athabasca Community. I am fully support that the AU stays in Athabasca and we cannot leave AU behind. It would be a loss to the Community. We do NOT want to move.

2015-08-19 17:17

As the price of oil dips, Athabasca University's mission to remove barriers to education is ever more timely. The Athabasca location supports rural economic diversification and so must be furthered, not shut down.

2015-08-19 19:56

I am employed by A.U.. It is the best employer in our area and is vital for the economy of this community.

2015-08-19 22:05

It is fair and is good for all concerned.

2015-08-19 23:47

AU stays . It is very successsful for everyone to take online courses or take courses

2015-08-20 02:32

Athabasca University is the economic, social and cultural life blood of the Athabasca community. Without it the area would lose around 450 well paying jobs. Since many if not most of these people are married and many have children the area could lose well over 1,000 people. It would be economically devastating but we would also lose people who volunteer in many areas. Our schools would lose a lot of enrollments. There is no upside to AU moving out of this area.

2015-08-20 03:47

AU has made the town an amazing place to live!! Without it, Athabasca could die. It's been a vibrant, wonderful town, and it would be a shame to see the University go. As well, many people have invested heavily in Athabasca, supporting local merchants and buying real estate.  Shopkeepers could lose their businesses and those who own homes there will likely be unable to sell their homes, etc. It was always wonderful to have a wide range of people in town = of nationalities, interests, careets, jobs, and education - and everyone lives and learns together and  from each other! Keep AU in Athabasca!

2015-08-20 11:23

The loss of this university would be devastating to students in the area, and to the town. It would cost students so much more to have to be uprooted to Edmonton or Calgary, and then would come the question if they could be accepted.

2015-08-20 23:17

Athabasca University should be in a small town! It gives the staff a better sense of what it is like to be a distance education student by living in an isolated community, it creates jobs for the community, and what a waste of taxpayers money by relocating it NOW after all the efforts & hubbub surrounding its location there in the first place.

2015-08-22 18:21

Please keep this school going. As someone will 2 jobs and debt to take care of. Online courses can help me so much!

2015-08-25 16:27

The focus needs to be on what is best for the University and its' students.