Saving CYTO

Dean Lundy

/ #86 Save CYTO

2011-03-16 00:59

During its 47 successful years the Croydon Youth Theatre Organisation has given thousands of young people the opportunity to take part in theatre productions of the highest quality, song and dance and workshops that develop the skills of our Croydon youth. I used to be amazed when I heard of someone young or old that had reached the top step in their chosen path and had come from Croydon but not now, because I have an insight into what it takes to set them on the right path.

I see CYTO working with young people helping to raise their standards, their attainment and their aspirations for theatre now and in the future, why? Because I have two children of my own that attend and are now seeking their path where one day they might make Croydon even prouder of its young people’s achievements. CYTO inspires tolerance and empowers young people to become more responsible, giving access to young people of different ages and backgrounds provides opportunities to make new friendships and build on existing ones, removing barriers to participation by disabled young people.

What is also particularly apparent at CYTO is how young people build up a personal network of supportive ties and how some of the older members help bridge changing settings or circumstances during the formative years of a young person’s life, which can be challenging. This is because of the age range CYTO is open to, 13 to 25.

Our Croydon young people depend more than adults on their immediate neighbourhood for their social life. As such places for our young people to meet should be an important part of community provision that provide four critical needs – An organisation such as CYTO is somewhere to go for activities, something to do, a space to use and share with others and a place to go for advice

If I may, I will finish with two quotes, the first is from a national newspaper last year that sums up to me the attitude of community to its young people and one that talks about the achievement of youth.

“A new playground in Nottingham has been designed without slides, climbing frames or play equipment because nearby residents were worried that older youth would hang around the site at night.”

The last is an extract taken from a review that highlights the achievement of youth.

“From the moment the audience entered it was obvious CYTO meant business. Whilst many are pondering on the growing scourge of knife crime, the members of CYTO chose the subject for a play commissioned with funds from the Croydon Youth Service.”

Which one do you prefer?

It is also worth mentioning that the play received a standing ovation from young people stunned into silence by the power of the piece, performed by current members of CYTO, it is known simply as Shank. To close CYTO would be such a huge mistake.