Petition to Allow Wausau West Master Singers to Sing

/ #19

2013-10-06 04:23

Should atheists be forced to sing religious songs because they want and have the ability to be in the highest choir rank at their high school? No.
Should the singers be forced to ignore the entire religious basis of music? No.

That being said...I also don't think Buch should be able pick out his favorites to showcase. A music program with 400+ students should showcase more than 30 people in the Pop Concert.

In my opinion, the whole system is broken--and before you can fix the religious aspect of this--you have got to control Buch. Buch handpicks the songs--you know that, right?--you also know that he is the Faculty Advisor for the school's Bible Club, right?...this correlation is no coincidence. The problem is coming from within--it isn't religion (or lack there of) itself. It is Buch.

You know who didn't eff things up with politics of family and picking favorites? Rico Jaeger. He gave kids a shot who never were given a second look. Gave me a solo at the Grand Theater the same year I was turned down for Concert Chorale. In the week following my solo, Buch offered me a spot in his little club and I turned him down because I didn't think it was fair to get in because I was suddenly good enough for him.

My brother and sister were both more talented musicians than me--never got their chance at Pop Concert even though my brother was in various local bands with a decent following--and my sister sang solos in musicals and other events. Buch didn't care for or didn't know my parents well enough to give a damn. If your last name doesn't fit his agenda--have fun playing third wheel to Buch politics.

Fix Buch, spread the culture around, and you have a legitimate unbiased program. Until then, the kids using his program are suffering--whether they are his prized possessions or the dirt he sweeps under the rug.