Gloucester off leash beach petition supporters!

Capeann MA

/ #9 Some Facts, & Dogs and their Owners cleaner than the summer beach goers

2013-10-28 21:43

ATTENTION ALL DOG OWNERS!!! (Approx 1820 Registered Gloucester Pooches)
In case you haven't heard, there is a new ordinance being voted on on Nov 12 at City Hall Banning all dogs from being off leash anywhere except at the dog park. This would be a total injustice to pet owners, and their pooches. For those of you that do not understand the dynamics of Dog parks, they are great for our pets, BUT when you have too many at one time, in a small enclosed area, they can take on pack mentality, and thus cause problems, never mind the actual issues of dog owners in such close proximity to each other (lol). There is also the risk of not being able to keep the dogpark clean/shovelled during the winter (lets face it, you cannot really plow the area...). We should be able to allow dog owners and their pets the right to head to the beaches during off season to be able to run for more than 35 yards at a stretch, in the open air, and to be able to jump and frolic in the ocean. Please sign and share this petition for all dog owners in the city.
FYI There were Approx 1,820 dogs registered in the City of Gloucester for 2012. That is an awful lot of dogs to jam in the dogpark daily. even 1/4 would be approx 500. Most people that do not go to the dogpark usually take their pooches to the beaches as well as the trails and parks around town. Personally, I would be open to paying an annual fee to register my dog to be allowed on the beaches during the off season than to bring him to a dog park that sees upwards of over 500 dogs daily.And just so you know, I do go to the dog park with my Shepherd, and he has a great time, but when you start getting more than 20 dogs at a time in there, it can get very crowded (Between the dogs and owners), and all it takes is one dog to get scared or nervous, feeling closed in with now room to "Escape" from the attentions of a dog wanting to play to start seeing chaos. This doesn't mean that these dogs are vicious, or not well behaved, just that they are feeling enclosed and intimidated by other dogs and their personalities. Imagine you sitting at a Patriots game with obnoxious drunk excited fans around you. And you start feeling uncomfortable and need to take a breather, and they start following you around the section your sitting, and the security is not allowing people to leave their section... kinda like that...lol
As far as comments 7 & 8, Do you live on Good Harbor or Wingersheek? How can you hear any noise? The surf and wind in the Fall-winter months alone howl! Most dogs on the beaches are not barking, Dogs mostly bark looking for attention, or when they are cooped up, or Leashed meeting other dogs because they want to go greet them! As far as the mess, Most people pick up their pets mess, and there are others that pick up missed dog mess as well. We are a vigilante group, and the beaches are 1000 cleaner than the damn human slobs that leave NON BIODEGRADABLE bottles, plastic, cans, and other trash all over the beach each summer day! Now that is a travesty! Send your email, and I will send you pics from this summer from 6pm, and 6 amm of the beaches with all the trash. As far as polluting the waterways, where do you think your waste goes everytime you go the restroom my friends.... exactly...