Justice for Black Panther Party Leader Pete O'Neal

/ #12

2014-04-25 15:09

I became aware of Pete Oneal from viewing the documentary Panther in Africa. I grew up in Chicago. I've seen what people in Government can do when they feel threatened. Pete chose to leave the US due to the political climate of the time. My wife and I visited the UAACC compound in Arusha,Tanzania, a few years back, to deliver school supplies and see how the a water project for which the Betty Shabazz Charter school raised funds, was progressing. We were amazed at how Pete and his wife Charlotte have continued to do the type of work in Arusha Tanzania that endeared the Panther Party to the Black community here in Chicago. The Water for Tanzania project provided the funds for Pete to build a 60,000 gallon reservoir that expanded their capacity to provide potable water for their own compound and also the surrounding villages. Pete and his staff built a beautifully landscaped compound of multiple concert buildings, from the ground up, on 5 acres of land. These structures housed their home, school, classrooms, an open air dining and meeting area, recording and art studios, computer labs, the group house, for the children and guest quarters for visiting university students. They have instituted and maintained educational programming, for teaching compute literacy, English, math and science, agriculture, renewable energy and the like. The thing that most impressed us was the group home they provide for children from surrounding villages whose families for various reason have sent them to Pete, Charlotte and the UAACC to be cared for. UAACC staff cares for them 24/7. They feed, cloth and educate them. They travel the country with them on field trips. The children are spirited, talented, happy and well behaved. During our visit we spent evenings at Pete's home and the children would always come by to sit with Baba Pete, watch movies and practice their English. You could feel the love they have for him.
Pete Oneal's story is one of transformation. This man is an exemplar of servant leadership. The US government should pardon Pete Oneal.