Living versus Existing

Cassie

/ #6

2014-06-27 21:59

I have been hypothyroid and Hashimoto for 6 years, but diagnosed for 14 months. I was 18 at diagnosis. I was prescribed 50 mcg Levothyroxine right away, then upped to 100 mcg 6 weeks later, and upped again to 150 mcg 10 months later. Despite being a normal 20 year old woman with interests and dreams just like anyone else, I cannot pursue them because of my inadequate treatment of Hypothyroid with levothyroxine. Traveling is near impossible since it takes a full 7 days to recover the energy deficit from a calm 3 day trip taking an airplane. On a daily basis, I dread going to the store because I know I will barely get everything put away before I need to lay down. The multiple Endocrinologists I have seen refuse to prescribe anything but Levothyroxine/Synthroid, which for many, is clearly not treating the very symptoms we are taking the medication to try to fix. As a hypothyroid patient, I feel confident to speak for the group in saying that we just want our lives back! To be able to run in the park, to stay up past 9:00 PM to watch a movie with friends, to get to do something, anything, for a full day! For our sake, please make Natural Thyroid Hormone Replacement more mainstream.