We want to travel with our 8/9 weeks old pedigree-puppies

/ #92 Science says this is a bad idea!

2015-01-15 20:00

As someone who has imported a puppy in the past and plans to again (and spend my vacation dollars in the EU while I do it), this rule is ridiculous. It does nothing to stop the trafficking of puppy mills or factories - they will find ways to ship puppies under the radar. Instead the laws stop someone like me, who has carefully researched what breed I want and I'm willing to pay to get it, from getting a puppy during prime socialization period. There have been dozens of studies on the effects of puppies not getting proper socialization before 12 weeks. I could cite dozens of puppies I've personally met while teaching puppy and adult obedience classes who were not properly socialized puppies and caused problems for their families because of it.

There is also evidence - and the beginnings of research - that points to rabies vaccines being given to dogs before 16 weeks can be detrimental to their lifelong health. If the point of the law is to protect puppies and keep them healthy, this is a poor way to go about doing it.

Yes, there needs to be regulations and restrictions for the health of the puppies leaving the country as well as the dogs in the country receiving the puppy, but this is not the way to do it.