West Liberty University College Hall & Ceramics

encu

/ #18

2015-04-21 22:38

The ceramics studio inside of the Annex building is a vital part of the ceramics classes. The location and flexible hours make it crucial to the art building process. Clay is a very difficult medium to work with because it has small time-windows in which it has to be worked with. The process takes hours and has many different stages. It cannot be contained within a building that has hours of operation. I can’t tell you how many nights between 1 AM and 5 AM that I was in the Annex building doing pottery. This studio would be impossible to relocate on campus.

With that being said, if the plan is to get rid of the ceramics classes altogether, that would be a terrible mistake. These classes are so much more than just art classes. Within a single semester I learned history, cultural diversity, chemistry, math, environmental earth science, and pottery all in one class. We didn’t just go over information and then forget about it either. We were able to apply the information and therefor I will always remember the concepts we learned. That class was one of the most engaging and difficult classes I have ever take at West Liberty. We took notes, had quizzes, had tests, and wrote essays. It was extremely hard work, but it was also extremely fun and relaxing. Who would have thought that learning history, cultural diversity, chemistry, math, and environmental earth science could be so much fun? Please do not do away with the ceramics studio and classes. That is an experience every single student at West Liberty University should have the opportunity to take advantage of.