Lower Price for a Parking Pass at Trinity Area High School

/ #10

2016-07-29 15:18

The upcoming seniors have been Trinity High School's "Guinea pigs," if you will, for so many different areas- FCS requirements, study skills classes, and even a change in faculty. The extensive increase in prices of parking passes should not be one more thing on the list of things we've endured at Trinity.    

In previous years, the average price of parking passes has been $25-$35. An increase to $200 is absurdly unjust. I understand that paving the pit will add more parking and utilize the space, however, that money should not be coming out of students' pockets. 

You can say that parking at the school is a priveledge, which, yes it is. However, it is a necessary priveledge. Atleast, 85% of my grade, the senior class, has part time jobs and after school activities. Without the ability to park at school, these options totally diminish for others whose parents work during the day, like myself. If I, or anyone else, cannot afford to pay the fee, they will have to cut down hits at their work and also miss out on their activities.

By making the price so high, it becomes unfair to some students. For example, my parents do not give me money for school related things, like field trips, registration fees, and parking passes. These things are my responsibility, as I have my own job and money. I know this scenario is not unknown to my fellow students. I am more priveledged than others, as I am fortunate enough to have a job where I work an average of 15 hours a week at a $10 an hour wage. To put it in perspective, I would have to work about 23 hours in order to pay for my parking pass. Now I know many others whose jobs pay range is between $7.25-$8.00. These students would have to work about 30 hours in order to pay for the parking pass. As young adults, we have other fees, like car insurance and gas money, and not to mention that college is quickly approaching, and spending 20 to 30 hours working for a parking pass is unjust.

I mean no disrespect or attitude to our administrators and those in charge of executive decisions, however, a price increase of that value is quite unfair. 

Thank you, 

Kelsey Reese