Petition urging FISA to preserve lightweight rowing

Fange

/ #124 FISA to preserve lightweight rowing

2016-10-24 09:07

As a former GB lightweight from the '70s , I beleive that it is essential that lightweight rowing should be in all classes of boat on par exactly with those of the Heavy weight classes of boats , from 8's through to 1x's.    Without this high incentive level to aim for, I beleive that all rowing clubs throughout the world will suffer an enormous loss of those club athletes that are not blessed with being the massive size in both height and weight, that is now generally expected of the heavy weight class athlete, in order to firstly medal or at least reach the final 6 places at both the World Championships and Olympic Championships level.

I  also  find it very difficult to understand how both lightweight rowing classes and even heavy weight rowing classes are even  being considered for reductions in the first place, when so many other quite obscure activities,    that some call sports have been introduced, with many  more currently sitting  waiting for introduction, and to be honest  I have to say this includes the Paralympics with all its numerous classes of events for what ever ailment  someone may have.     Under these circumstances, I wonder how long will it be before we see the introduction of Tiddlywinks and Conkers  to the Olympic's.

Of Course the obvious solution  would be for the IOC to remove all weight, size  and  even sex categories from each  and every sporting activity and keeping only to those true sports,  which are considered as Sport, first past the finishing line, heaviest lift , furthest throw, wrestling / boxing etc ,  thereby excluding all ball sports, and those activities like ice skating and diving etc which are activities decided upon by pure  subjective scoring systems. These activities can then be held at World Championship Level which currently exists to determine world rankings.