Right to use sign language in educational programmes

Amy Baker

/ #420 Deaf people's language--though not spoken

2010-09-28 23:47

People need to remember history, prior to banning sign language in Deaf Residential Schools. If I remember my history, when Deaf children were taught using sign language, they faired quite well with reading and writing English. It wasn't until sign language was banned, that the education of Deaf children started to deterioate. When sign language was again allowed, it did help improve education. However, the advent of mainstream seemed to be a threat to quite a few deaf children, whose communication is sign language (namely ASL). Also there is a variety of sign language, mostly SEE used in education (Sign Exact English is really a coded language, similar to Morse Code) not really a language. It is thought that using SEE would help Deaf children learn English, but there is debate over that philosophy. I do have a MEd: Special Educ--Deaf & Hard-of-Hearing and tend towards the philosophy of Bi-Bi (Bi-cultural, Bi-lingual). You teach English like a second language only in reading, writing, and say "this is what it looks like" on the mouth, and by relating it to ASL (American Sign Language). Sign Language is a must for Deaf children to learn. They will use it with each other regardless if it is banned. However, history shown, they were punished for using signs. Please do not repeat history and the devastating effects of banning sign. This will only increase the resentment deaf people have against hearing people. It will also have damaging effects in Deaf childrens' education.