100 years of a pipe dream
100 YEARS OF A PIPE DREAM
Petition to the government of the Republic of Zimbabwe- Ministry of Water Resources and Development
The year 2012 marks 100 years since the Matabeleland Zambezi Water Project idea was conceptualized.
Successive governments have talked about the idea as the only lasting and viable solution to Water problems in Matabeleland and the city of Bulawayo and would see the creation f a massive Agro-economy that would transform lives and increase the country’ revenue resulting in economic growth.
The year 2012 has so far proved to be yet another dry year with erratic rainfall likely to affect the city of Bulawayo’s water situation that is already stressed as characterized by perennial water rationing.
AS THE CONCEPT TURN 100 YEARS THIS YEAR, THE PEOPLE OF MATABELELAND DEMAND THE FOLLOWING ISSUES TO BE ADDRESSED AS ATTER OF URGENCY IN ORDER TO FACILITATE THE FULFILMENT OF THE ZAMBEZI WATER PROJECT PIPELINE DREAM:
1. THE MINISTER OF WATER RESOURCES TO DECLARE MATABELELAND AS A WATER CRISIS AREA – This will open doors for interventions on the Water problems in the region resulting in massive investment in the region
2. THE GOVERNMENT TO PUT MATABELELAND ZAMBEZI WATER PROJECT AS A DEVELOPMENT PRIORITY- FOLLOWED BY TANGIBLE BUDGETORY ALLOCATIONS.
3. THE MINISTRY OF WATER RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT TO PRIORITIZE THE IMMEDIATE COMMUNITIES IN THE EXECUTION OF THE PROJECT (Employment opportunities and business opportunities to be afforded to locals as first preference).
4. THE GOVERNMENT OF ZIMBABWE TO REVIEW ITS WATER LAWS NAMELY THE WATER ACT AND THE ZINWA ACT IN ORDER TO ALLOW PRIVATE INVESTORS TO INVEST IN WATER INFRASTUCTURE DEVELOPMENT AND END THE ZINWA MONOPOLY AND STATE CONTROL OVER WATER.
5. THE GOVERNMENT OF ZIMBABWE TO HARMONIZE THE LAWS THAT AFFECT SERVICE DELIVERY INSITUTIONS SUCH AS THE URBAN COUNCILS ACT, RURAL DISTRICT COUNCILS ACT AND END CENTRAL GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE WITH LOCAL AUTHORITIES ESPECIALLY AROUND THE PROVISION OF WATER.
6. POLITICIANS TO STOP POLITICIZING WATER- WATER TO BE VIEWED AS A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT (Parliament to enact a law that criminalizes the use of water, food and housing as political campaign tools)
If you agree with the above mentioned issues, ADD YOUR VOICE by assenting your signature and details in the spaces provided below:
The 100 years of a pipe dream campaign
Organizers: Shalom Project, Habakkuk Trust, INTSCHA.COM,Radio Dialogue, Churches in Bulawayo, NANGO West
You can also join us on Facebook group: 100 years of a pipe dream
You can Contact us on
100 years of a Pipe dream Matabeleland Zambezi water campaign Contact the author of the petition
|Log in to manage your petition.|