Cyprus Cremation or Burial

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Cyprus Cremation or Burial.

2014-08-11 06:14

Excellent and well deserved.

2014-08-11 06:45

Hopefully and shortly a blog will appear on North Cyprus Free Press with details of the Tala story and a link to this petition.

Good Luck.

Pauline Read

2014-08-11 07:30

http://northcyprusfreepress.com/cyprus-news-the-right-to-be-cremated
This is out there on NCFP and on my facebook page and two other groups I run.

2014-08-11 07:32

a basic human right

2014-08-11 07:46

I personally don't wish to be cremated but I subscribe to Voltaire's maxim that "I may not like what you say but I'll defend your right to say it".

In this case, I defend your right to be able to pursue your wish to dispose of your mortal remains in any way you choose.

2014-08-11 11:23

this is long overdue and we should be allowed freewill choice in this matter

2014-08-11 13:27

The latest appalling treatment of the deceased in Tala demonstrates the urgent need for cremation facilities. It's way past time the authorities stopped prevaricating and acted; or maybe it's because they haven't figured out how to make money out of the project.
Truebrit

#8 Re:

2014-08-12 18:00

#7: -  

I had the terrible ordeal to arrange a repatriation for my neighbour when he died to his homeland of Scotland. I went with his daughter to see him before the repatriation. I was totally horrified to see that his body had been stored on a industrial estate, in a chest freezer. He was put on a table with a white sheet on his naked body, we had supplied a suit for him and shoes. But there was no,sign of it! He had a mans handkerchief over his face, that was pulled off for us to pay our respects. His daughter nearly passed out at the sight of her dad. When his body arrived in,Scotland, the daughter was advised that the body was in a bad condition, and would be better to remember him as he was. IF THEY HAD CREMATION IN CYPRUS THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO NEED FOR THE TERRIBLE ORDEAL SHE WENT THROUGH. A SIGHT I WILL NEVER FORGET!

CLIVE TURNER

#9 Re: Re:

2014-08-15 14:50

#8: Truebrit - Re:  

The standard of embalming in Cyprus is beyond description.  It is frankly disgraceful.  This is one of the very many reasons why for ten years I have been lobbying the Government for a crematorium supported now by over 9,000 supporters.  The Church, in the shape of the Archbishop, is not against it as he has three times made clear to me face to face - saying that cremation should be a matter of freedom of choice. He has also declared this publicly.  But he seems weak on the issue when it comes to influencing the Synod.

Sadly, the Holy Synod in Cyprus  lives in the past, refusing to recognise that there are now more people living here who do not belong to the Greek Orthodox Church than those who do follow that faith.  The Government has been approached many times, through the President, through the Interior Minister, and through other official channels, all without response, save telling me that there is "more to discuss".  After ten years discussion what more can there be that hasn't been discussed endlessly?

The need for a crematorium to end the situation where (apart from Malta), we are the only EU member without one, is now truly urgent.  There is little or no room for more cemeteries. The upkeep of the exisiting cemeteries is scandalous.  The whole situation is simply unacceptable now, and the issue has become desperately sad.

Calling for an interview/audience with the President has been sought - and completely ignored. His Officer Director brushes all correspondence aside with suggestions for writing to alternative recipients, none of whom ever respond.  I just receive the President's "good wishes for health and happiness", both of which advantages I already possess.  I despair of the bureaucracy, the lack of interest, and the sheer absence of will.