PUBLIC CAMERAS ARE NECESSARY IN HOBBS COMMISSION MEETING

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition PUBLIC CAMERAS ARE NECESSARY IN HOBBS COMMISSION MEETING.

Dennis Barcuch
The author of this petition

2015-07-22 20:39

I wanted to be able to watch my commission in action, no matter:
1. what time of day
2. What my location is

I know very strongly that my commissioners will greatly benefit from easy community feedback.  I don't now feel connected to them, nor do they know what I think about any subject in discussion.

Staci Barcuch

#2 Homeschooling Mom of Two

2015-07-22 22:26

I am a wife and a mother of two daughters- a seven year old and a four year old. 

In addition to household responsibilities, I am also a business owner and a homeschooling mom.  As part of our homeschooling environment last year, Commissioner Mullins gave our local homeschooling group a tour of city hall and the commission chambers.  It opened up a venue for us to discuss city government with our children- but not a chance to see it in action. 

I will freely admit that I am part of the growing trend of people who aren't involved in government because, quite honestly, I don't feel like my vote matters and I don't have the time or the patience to deal with the stigma of "politics".  I see and hear this often in my circle. 

City Commission meetings happen in the evening- which corresponds with dinner, bath time and tucking in the kids for the evening so I can catch a small break and re-group for the next day.  Government isn't easy to be involved with and sadly, should a situation arise, I don't even know who my Commissioner is.  Mom and/or Dad isn't involved? Chances are "we" aren't raising our children to be involved, either.  Sadly, that extends to local, state and federal government leadership moving forward to the future. 

The City of Hobbs has a great opportunity to open up government to its people for generations to come.  What a wonderful way to cultivate relationships for potential leadership moving forward!

2015-07-23 03:33

This is awesome!!! Transparency Health everyone

2015-07-23 12:21

I signed the petition because this would benefit the people of Hobbs in numerous ways.
Dianne Goodman

#5 Hobbs leaders need to join the "new world."

2015-07-27 13:26

Transparency in Hobbs not only benefits the citizens of Hobbs.  It also benefits all New Mexicans.  Leaders who dig their heels in to resist joining the new world because they don't want the iron curtain removed, will ultimately do one of two options.

1)  They will ultimately fade away and their power base will have more pressure put on them to be transparent.

2)  They will realize that the world no longer operates as it did in the last century, and will wisely work with those who know that it is a necessity to be transparent in the new world for the survival of their economy.  Quite frankly even leaders of countries in Africa know that. 

Let's hope they will chose the latter option, and sooner rather than later. 

If anyone would like to see how public comment has affected the Construction Industries Division and Commission, you can contact nmvoice@hotmail.com.   Here's a snippet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgrLy858OFU&feature=youtu.be

2015-07-28 12:06

After seeing how recklessly the commission is spending money and the city manager is amending his contract every year for more, the citizens definitely deserve to hear and see what is going on with our tax dollars so we as a community can get involved.

2015-07-29 15:42

Not everyone can go to a meeting, not everyone can find a babysitter to join in, but want to know what's going on. The radio allows a few to listen in, but what about those that travel away for work? Are they not part of this community? The stay at home mom who can't get care doesn't want to bring a 2 year old who's over due for dinner. Buses don't run that late.