Let the Fall Fair continue at Quality Farm & Garden

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Let the Fall Fair continue at Quality Farm & Garden.

2016-02-12 23:28

The fall fair is a wonderful community event at quality farm

2016-02-12 23:28

ALR land has many other things going on: Doggie day care. Kennels,golf, raising of animals etc. As long as it is going on in the daytime what does it matter?

2016-02-13 00:11

I signed this petition because I want to see the Fall Fair at Quality Farm and Garden continue. It's only 2 days out of 365 days in a year. The remaining 363 days it is business like normal. How can that bother anyone. It is a well attended event and I for one would be sad if it was not allowed to continue because one (or maybe a few) people complained. Please make an exception for the Fall fair.

#4 Community Should Stand Up

2016-02-13 01:16

As the originator of the Gibsons Fall Fair, I am extremely distressed to hear this news. The Fall Fair is held every Thanksgiving weekend for 15 years and has always been a welcome and well received event to the community. In return, we welcomed not only paying vendors,  but the Lions Club,  the Hospital Auxilary, and other local non- profit groups to fundraiser for their organizations. The Fall Fair also took 100% of the profits from the Fall Fair and donated them back into the community to an assortment of non profit organizations such as Transition House, Arrowhead, The Salvation Army, Navy League & Sea Cadets, The Wildlife  Refuge, just to name a few. To date these donations total well over $20,000.00. This event has been a community staple that Dave & Betty Wells have supported at no charge to the community for 15 years! Shame on the SCRD for thinking that taking away an event like this is in any way good for our community. I do not think anyone should sit by idle and allow this to happen. 

Thanks for your comments! I'll make sure all the comments are brought to the SCRD as well!

#5 Re: Community Should Stand Up

2016-02-13 01:18

2016-02-13 02:01

If this is about the Fall Fair at Quality Feed Farms, then I wholeheartedly support it. Everyone loves it and it would be a tragedy to have to stop it.

2016-02-13 02:03

It is ridiculous to do a blanket ban on events. Everyone looks forward to the fall fair. One event should not deem an end to ALL events.

2016-02-13 02:04

Traditional community events that benefit many should never be arbitrarily shut down because of the noise of a jealous few.

2016-02-13 03:32

I signed this because i strongly object to small-minded complaints that are intended to ruin the pleasure of the majority.

2016-02-13 05:22

This is getting to be rediculous. This is a tradition. SCRD seems to be making new rules. Past practice shows what community minded people the owners of Quality Farm and Garden are. Who is the Grinch that started all this? Shame on you.

#11 Re: Community Should Stand Up

2016-02-13 05:33

#4: - Community Should Stand Up 

Our family has attended the Fall Fair for most of the 15 years it has been held at Quality Farm.  It's a wonderful community event that showcases local artisans, craftspeople, farmers and charities, and has been a staple of our Thanksgiving weekend ever since we moved to the coast.  We buy our years supply of honey there, bring friends and family from off-coast there, and over the past few years have had our daughters play their fiddles to add some music to the event.  Just last year our daughters' fiddle group busked at the Fall Fair, and the proceeds they earned helped fund a trip for a small group of young sunshine coast fiddlers (one of the many non-profit groups who benefit from this event) to attend a fiddle workshop on Widbey Island. 

When I think of the hundreds of hours of volunteer effort, the tens of thousands of dollars raised for local charities and non-profits, and the exposure this event gives to local farmers, artisans, & craftspeople, I'm simply astounded that a bureaucratic decision such as this, that is blind to any benefits such events offer to our community can be allowed to stand.  Not only is this a blow to the organizers, participants and general community, it sets an awful precedent for anyone who is considering dedicating volunteer effort in the future to organize events such as this.  We need to hold our local governments to a higher standard, and speak up when overzealous decision making causes real damage to the events that make our community such a great place to live and raise a family.  I earnestly hope that the SCRD reconsiders its decision and allows the Gibsons Fall Fair to continue to be held at Quality Farm this year and for years to come!

2016-02-13 05:51

I have participated both as a vendor and as an attendee with guests from off the Coast. These guests have returned with other visitors as they enjoyed this event.

Also it raises money for wonderful causes apart from being a fun family event.

2016-02-13 06:25

Really? The Fall Fair? One unsubstantiated complaint?
Let them answer to it.
This is not a totalitarian society!
Negotiate.

2016-02-13 06:28

I have lived within walking distance to Quality Feeds for 50 years and now am an immediate neighbour. I so much enjoy the functions put on by Quality Feeds. I believe attending a "farm" rural atmosphere provides an important element in our raising of our children here on the coast. Also this lovely place has provided this function for years without issue. The people and place are a breathe of fresh air. They bring people together, they offer a more personal place to sell farm personal goods, they help contribute economically to the coast. They help fund raisers during this function. One disapproving comment is absolutely no reason to take away something so wholesome to perhaps more than 1000 coast people.

2016-02-13 13:07

Anyone using a lawn mower/weed eater greater than 3 minutes in 15 minute increments is in violation of the by-law. Would the by-law officer enforce this if I complained? What about barking dogs, sirens,screaming kids,church bells. I'm surprised they haven't complained about their partners snoring to the SCRD (perhaps they have). I'd like to see a pack of Coyote's howl all night near their bedroom window!

2016-02-13 13:16

Shopping Local is a priority for me. Christmas gifts locally made are so special and fabulous when You get to meet the creators.

Patty Kraft

2016-02-13 14:06

This is crazy.  The SCRD can make exceptions for events like this and it should, in this case.  Lorne Lewis is the Area Director and needs to step up for his constituency by recommending a variance.  All of us should write to him requesting his support for this event.  He's at (lorne.lewis@scrd.ca).  It is probably also worth cc'ing the SRCD chair, Garry Nohr (garry.nohr@scrd.ca) and CAO Janette Loveys (Janette.Loveys@scrd.ca).  

2016-02-13 15:10

Because we live in a world where community events need to happen. A day of noise complained about by one person should NOT dictate the closure of a safe, beneficial event.

2016-02-13 15:25

I support the continuation of this wonderful community family event and can't imagine how someone would complain about it. I am also concerned about what appears to be a knee-jerk response by the SCRD apparently without due consideratiin or consultation.

2016-02-13 16:07

I would like to see the Fall Fair continue at Quality Farm and Garden

2016-02-13 16:53

One of the highlights of the fall season is the fall fair at Quality Farms!

2016-02-13 16:58

It's been going on for yrs and it helps the community. Much needed.

2016-02-13 16:59

It is ridiculous that such a once a year family attended happy event should be halted because a neighbour is irritated by the noise. It's only once a year!

2016-02-13 18:04

It doesn't seem fair to cancel all events (fund raisers) because of 1 event that was probably noisy and at night for a daytime event that raises money for good causes on the Sunshine Coast.
cherylb

2016-02-13 18:23

I'm thinking the SCRD might want to focus on other abuses of the ALR rather than a Fall Fair being held by a nursery. Specifically, illegal businesses come to mind.