Save Strathcona Golf Course

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Strathcona Golf Course.

2016-03-15 02:19

Because I disagree with selling Strathcona Golf course.

2016-03-15 02:22

To save the course at this time and consider hiring a manager independent of the city to run the course as a business; more to
urnaments; better rates at times when course is least busy.
An experienced golf pro with mgnt experience should be able to turn this course into a profitable enity; if not then reconsider selling it on open market to developers from across Canada.

2016-03-15 02:59

Save the golf coarse and forget that damned event center.

2016-03-15 03:12

It is a well loved golf course played it for many years

2016-03-15 09:32

Strathcona is a great golf course, I have golfed there for many years and would very disappointed to see it sold for a housing development. We golf at public golf courses in many cities that we travel to, Thunder Bay should have have that available to visitors to the city as well.

2016-03-15 15:48

I am a senior and I like to golf. Fresh air and excersize. Seniors need to be active. If you don't have your health no amount of money is any good.

2016-03-15 21:20

I am a golfer and I don't want to see Strathcona go the way of the other private courses

2016-03-15 21:53

One of the real important initiatives that a city must have is support for youth activities. In the summer junior golf is an affordable alternative for a family that would not necessarily be possible with private golf courses. A city owned facility also ensures that private courses of the same quality charge competitive rates and not gouge the sport. Strathcona is the better of the two courses and therefore is one which should be held onto should the city decide to reduce down to 1 course.

#84 Strathcona golf course

2016-03-15 23:46

I have played Strathcona for many years I doubt that any city run facility makes money simply being managed by the city ensures this between administrative and unionized work forces they couldn't possibly turn a profit they certainly charge enough for green fees so what's the problem? I'm not against unions I belong to one too but why pretend you can compete with the private sector you can't  it would truly be a crying shame to lose this iconic historic course because of mismanagement /incompetence  

2016-03-16 00:07

Mayor Hobbs does not want to be in competition with private sector. Then unload tbay tel first. He claims he wants to develop housing. Why take away a gem like strath which has seen upgrades way over the top in recent years. Land between Algoma and Court is available and will offer better views and needs no infrastructure. Here's what really happening. Hobbs and the owners of the TBCC will offer to switch. This way everyone wins.
Mike

#86 Selling the only solution

2016-03-16 00:41

Shouldn't we be asking why taxpayers should continue to subsidize golf For a small percentage of our tax base?  Strathcona continues to operate at a loss with no reasonable solution.  So why shouldn't they sell?  Ask yourself this question.  If you owned this asset and couldn't to operate at a loss year after year what would you do?

2016-03-16 03:28

Aside from being my home course, the Strathcona Invitational is a Thunder Bay tradition. To get rid of this course would be a terrible decision by our city administration and would anger plenty of hard working tax payers who enjoy the game.

2016-03-16 12:36

shovling snow off the tarps in march is just  another way of driving up the labour cost do they think we are stupid

2016-03-17 00:32

It's important to maintain City services in Thunder Bay that are linked to physical activity and wellness of it's citizens.

2016-03-17 01:42

Dedicated golfer.....great course with a long history.....at least keep it as a golf course

2016-03-17 23:37

I have been a member at this club for years and truly believe it is a valuable part of the Current River community. The exercise and activity have kept me healthy and happy and the friends I have made while golfing are now lifelong buddies.

#92 Re: Re: Supply and demand

2016-03-20 14:50

#20: - Re: Supply and demand 

The green fees aren't cheap memberships are not much of a deal either so why do courses lose money every year? How about an audit like any other business . 

2016-03-20 23:29

Besides all the history of the course and my family and friends that have played there for years; they will probably sell it as gift like they did with Municipal…. How the hell is selling off an asset for pocket change going to balance the books…..

#94 Re:

2016-03-20 23:31

#2: -  

The course kept me out of trouble. Instead of drinking in the summers I loved golfing and it was a place for me to stay out of trouble 

2016-03-22 21:17

hobbs is a crook. sold muni for peanuts to the mafia

2016-05-13 00:35

This would be like taking a healthy part of you as walking and exersices while you are golfing. The city gave away a great GOLF Course for peanuts.Now they need money to blow away. thank you