Save Strathcona Golf Course

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Strathcona Golf Course.

2016-03-09 14:54

I think that golf and other sports activities should be avialable to the people of Thunder Bay because it is important to the quality of live. Not to mention all the jobs that would be lost and further erode the tax base.

2016-03-09 16:19

Why is golf the only City sponsored recreational activity under repeatedly and erroneously targeted scrutiny? What about pools? What about outdoor rinks? What about indoor rinks? Baseball diamonds? etc. There are only 2 courses. Good grief leave them alone. I guess our lard reared council have never been on one?

2016-03-09 16:44

strath is one of the best courses in the city and has a huge history As for the city being in competition with the private sector they chose to be in competition with the city City courses were here first

2016-03-09 18:25

Some council members have only selective vision on what the population wants. they seem to have their own personal agendas.Maybe sell all the parks, rinks ,complex, ball fields and audatorium. get out of everything, not just pick and choose your favorite of the day.

2016-03-09 19:46

Solving problems by taking away essential services is not the answer to fixing budgets! Far too much money wasted on acquiring 'mouth piece' consultants just to give the councillors and administration information they expect to receive from the people they hire to do the consulting!

2016-03-09 19:50

My dad and his friends golf's at Strathcona multiple times a week durine golf season. Seeing his favourite course dissappear, leaving no reasonably priced alternative would be upsetting.

2016-03-09 22:23

Do we need two administrators to run our golf course. One being administrator and the orther a operation administrator. And do we need the grass cut on Saturdays with extra pay for that day. The trouble is too much pay for top ended supravision.

2016-03-09 22:33

As a city we should offer different services to as many groups as possible; we all don't like the same things .As to competing with the private sector ,the City was involved in golf courses long before most of the private ones

2016-03-09 22:39

Building condos on the Thunder Bay Country Club, is working well for them, lol, leave Strathcona as is, how about sending your event Centre in the blue bin instead

2016-03-10 00:27

Strathcona provides an excellent 18 hole golfing experience as does Chapples. Our city public courses offer a 9 hole golfing experience. Poorly maintained greens, lack of service in providing their customer an exceptional experience for the amount of money paid for either a membership or just a round of golf for the day. Weekends at most of these courses are sold out for rowdy alcoholic golf parties. Not everyone can golf during the week and then are unable to golf on their weekend off. I would sooner play 18 holes then play the same 9 again. Whitewater and Fort William are very expensive to join. Our city courses offer affordable membership rates and there is pride in supporting our city run courses. Current RIver is a fantastic Thunder Bay neighbourhood. We have beautiful parks, trails and scenery. Strathcona golf course is one of these beautiful Current River sites. Strathcona is  the first golf courses any visitor to Thunder Bay sees as they drive down Hodder ave on their way into the city. A beautiful well maintained golf course. Mature trees, rolling hills, occasional deer and glimpses of the lake while you play. This course offers a challenging game to any golfer any day. 18 holes of golf in a respectable amount of time, no  9 x2 no long waits due to the not as serious golfer or golf partier ahead of you. Strathcona golf course needs to continue providing this service. Please dont sell out to the real estate developer. Keep our city run course, keep a beautiful piece city history alive and running.

2016-03-10 00:47

Strathcona is a beautiful golf course that should be preserved and promoted through Tourism Thunder bay. Through proper management and maintenance it could truly be the jewel of the north.

2016-03-10 01:04

Twice in nine holes you are lifted up 80 feet to a height that gives a view of the most beautiful harbour in all of Canada, and the spectacle of the legendary Sleeping Giant. This city could be famous because of this unique golf course, but no. The city apologizes, charges ever increasing rates to keep golfers off the course, and does not promote it as a tourist destination ! With a little bit of attention and maintenance, this could be the most desirable course to visit, not only for its natural beauty, but for a wonderful and fulfilling round of golf. Tie in hotel/motel packages and watch the result. Think of the tourist implications, or is that too American for our council?

2016-03-10 01:38

Strathcona could be a viable revenue source for the city of Thunder Bay if it were properly managed and maintained. People not showing up for tee times & not having to pay for no-shows, not making singles, pairs to play together so you can get walk-ups out, telling walk-ups the course is booked (because the tee sheet is full) yet nobody is on the first tee or waiting - what a joke!! It is like they are setting it up to fail with incompetent staff (not all) so they can justify selling it for pennies on the dollar. Like they did with Municipal!?!? Mayor Hobbs is out of touch with why it is losing money apparently and needs to dig deeper before he closes down a true treasure in our city.

2016-03-10 02:54

The City has to be able to promote attractions to promote tourism. If we give away all our public attractions, what will the City have to offer.

2016-03-10 03:20

I don't think Strath should be sold to raise money for Hobbs dream center

2016-03-10 14:24

Maybe the city should try and manage it better. Empty golf courses make no money. How does Hobbs think the younger generation can get to theses private courses. All out of town and cannot walk or ride a bike. They do not drive. Yes golf is on a decline but the private guy still figures A way to survive just like curling. All green fees are to much money at the city and private courses. Does not the stall tournament bring economic value to city so figure it out . Golf is good and we do not need another sub division.

2016-03-10 16:35

I play this course 3 times a week and see how the city wastes money with their managers, plus not allowing for people to walk on, which deters people from even trying to play strathcona.

2016-03-10 16:58

Strathcona is the best course in the city.

2016-03-10 18:49

Public need municipal golf course

2016-03-10 20:50

I grew up a block off of #5 ( the old order ) and developed my love of the game .. Others should have the same opportunity

2016-03-11 05:45

I grew up in Current River and Strathcona Golf Course (and in particular, the Invitational are traditions). A beautiful part of Thunder Bay that should be preserved.

2016-03-11 17:20

We have had this beautiful course for over a hundred years and our Mayor wants more taxes by selling it. Lower the golf charges and it will bring back golfers. Get rid of HIGH PRICED administrators!! Does he think that we are stupid.

2016-03-11 22:18

Strath coma is a big part of my life

2016-03-12 13:22

I signed this petition because I was born and raised in current river not far from the golf course. I played the course for half my life it would be tragic to see it close. You should be celebrating the course it has been a big part of the community for years!!. NOT CLOSEING IT!.
jughead

2016-03-12 13:45

the Man thick he may lose 2000 votes but gain 60,000 again WE will have to look at closing other recreation example V.P. pool $5.00 swim used by maybe !50 people