Department of Labour must improve.

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Department of Labour must improve..

2016-07-07 18:36

Companies are always putting employees lives at risk and seemingly get away with it.fatalities,injuries,amputations etc are seldom reported and when they do there's no much follow up being done to make sure measures are put in place to prevent future occurences of similar things.the DOL must improve and it must improve now,one more life lost would be one too many.

2016-07-07 21:20

I signed the petition because when it comes to health and safety, most companies do not comply and it saddens me that the DOL is not fully involved in resolving these issues. The DOL like any other government department somehow has the excuse that they do not have manpower which makes me question a lot of things. The petition author is on point because something needs to be done soon.

2016-07-08 05:58

There is simply too little action against contravention and this allows for organisations to di as they please. The enforcement side must be jacked up. Legislation is good but no enforcement.

2016-07-08 06:30

I signed this petition so that all the necessary information regarding incidents, accidents and lessons learnt from incidents can reach to everyone without any information witheld or swept under the carpet. Thank you.
Fabian Buckley
The author of this petition

#5 What does this mean?

2016-07-08 12:15

We have seen that without government's interventions, through properly enforced laws, and significant fines, jail terms and notices affecting work stoppages, the majority of management are very reluctant to adhere to safety requirements and laws, due to a mentality of no fear of reprisal due to a "toothless" Department of Labour.

What this mean you may ask?

I have been asked to elaborate by a good friend of mine.

The Department of Labour are supposed to be our pit bull's in the working industry which they are far from as they are more like a very tame poodle.

The management of many companies are not afraid of breaking the rules and laws and always cutting cost and overlooking safety on majority sites you work on.

The main reason for this is management are not afraid of the DOL as you do not hear of management be in taken to task for many accidents and fatalities when they occur.

We need the DOL to step up to the plate and bring down fire and brimstone onto companies in such a way that management takes initiatives to adhere to safety on sites.

Employ some strong pitbulls who will take no prisoners when it comes to compliance as we are dealing with people's lives and not just project progress and financial impacts.

The DOL with interested parties can join hands in this fight and take safety to another level and give it back to the employees who will respect their lives and others as precious.

Thank you.

2016-07-15 03:53

my concern it's our future.we have to improve as South Africans so department of labour must truly improve.

2016-08-18 12:42

I believe that there is merit in the petition and that government officials need to ensure that they are carrying out their duties according to their mandate. If we, the general public, who are paying these officials' salaries, are going to sit back and "hope" things get better, then we must blame ourselves for not acting when given the opportunity.

2016-09-22 13:28

Because I want to see change in saving lives and the reduction of workplace injuries/accidents.

2016-09-24 20:22

I believe South Africa still has a way to go with respect to Health and Safety in the work place, especially on construction sites! By improving safety, we show our respect for the labourers working on our construction sites. Their lives and well being matter.