Protect Stroud Farmer's Market

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Protect Stroud Farmer's Market.

2013-12-18 14:47

We totally disagree with the idea of putting Stroud Farmers Market out to tender. The contract with the present organiser should be renewed without change in order to maintain the Market's successful blend of organiser/traders/shoppers/council/cost.

2013-12-18 15:21

The council may believe they have arguments for putting the market out to tender, but none of these arguments can justify putting so many peoples livelihoods in jeopardy, in particular the organisers, to whom the council could show some respect for what they have done for Stroud.

2013-12-18 15:34

The market has proved one of the most vibrant and successful in England and is destined to become THE best.

2013-12-18 15:52

we need to keep it simple and keep it local Stroud
farmers market should not be put out to tender

2013-12-18 17:05

I am a relatively newcomer to the market having only traded there for the last 12 months. I value attending the market very much, it's not only the sales one has on the day but also the new leads picked up from LOCAL people. My business has certainly increased locally since going to the market, which means less travelling time for deliveries etc. Please KEEP IT LOCAL

2013-12-18 17:52

As I understand it, this is Gerb's business. He started it, has nurtured it over the years and made it into the Best Farmers' Market in the country.
It is NOT something that Stroud District Council should put out to open tender. A rent review with 'Made in Stroud' is the only satisfactory way of concluding this badly managed affair.

2013-12-18 18:10

Stroud Market is one of the best in the country & brings many visitors in from surrounding villages, many of whom spend lots. Most of the stall holders are local producers & many customers enjoy long term relationships with these producers. The market is an excellent showcase for Stroud as a town & that is surely beneficial to many other local businesses. Putting the management of Stroud Market out to tender will involve bidders offering to make higher returns to Stroud District Council, which will almost certainly mean an increase in stall holder rents & that implies a gradual reduction in local, small scale producer support. The Council must consider the long term viability of the market, rather than any short term increase in their income.

2013-12-18 19:45

If it ain't broke don't fix it.What hypocrits the Stroud Labour Group are promoting privitisation !

#9 Gerbs Market.

2013-12-18 19:47

If this is " Gerbs business" perhaps he needs to take on the responsibility of running it. When the rental agreement with the owners of the Cornhill market becomes due then Gerb should take it on. Similarly when the cleaning contract and the other necessary contracts become due he should also take them on. He should also provide stall holders with the stalls or they should be asked asked to rent them from Gerb. Gerb can then take on the licence with SDC for a fee. Traders can then pay the necessary street traders licences also. If it is truly his business then he should take on the true costs of the whole business. Gerb would then be in a position to run markets of various types over the week adding to "his business". If it is truly such a wonderful venture then why is it getting some £70,000 of tax payers money in order to survive. Other markets across the district get no subsidy. I believe that Wotton are about to loose there market and Dursley gets no subsidy. As a council tax payer I object to the council subsidisising "Gerbs Business". Perhaps Gerb needs to feel the full force of the Market to see if he truly has a unique business model.

2013-12-18 20:21

I am concerned about the subsidies the Council has to provide for the farmers' market. Clearly the Council need to save some money, but I don't think the solution is to tender. The current organisers should be given the opportunity to use the skills and knowledge they have to run it with more independence from the Council.

2013-12-18 21:03

Concern has to be raised about how this decision was reached, in that elected councillors were not consulted in the decision making process, specifically the ward councillor. Elected councillors must be consulted as they represent the local populations.The current labour led council has a huge democratic deficit with officers making decisions which your elected councillors would not make

2013-12-18 21:22

Don't hesitate to sign this important petition to save our amazingly successful Farmer's Market

2013-12-18 21:23

Possibly Stroud Councils worst decision ever. Absolutely ludicrous to put the running of the Market out to tender when the existing operator has spent years of effort, building it up from nothing to make it the success it is today. Without it, Stroud would be an also-ran town.

2013-12-18 23:00

Stroud Farmers Market , number one in the country , putting Stroud on the map . This Market lifts Stroud out of the mire of pound land and charity shops it is the other 6 days of the week , this ain't broke , don't try to fix it !
mermaid

#15 Our market

2013-12-18 23:16

Gerb was the genius hardworking man with the inspiration and to my mind this is OUR market OUR business that has rescued OUR town from the onslaught of supermarkets. It has brought the town to life and created trade relationships. I don't resent a penny of my tax if it helps maintain this for the future. It is a great community. The heart of a beacon town.

#16 Re: Our market

2013-12-19 08:53

#15: mermaid - Our market

Okay if it is "our Market" then there are vehicles available such as Community Interest Companies or Companies Limited by Gurantee that could be formed by "the Stroud community" to run the market. Perhaps Stroud Town Council can speak up and take a lead. Perhaps the Traders could get together and form a Co-Opertaive or Mutual Enterprise. But let us get past the sentimentality this is afterall a business, with a social element, but a business run by MIS Ltd. Once again the subsidy needs to be looked at. The terms of the contract need to be open and transparent. I understand that the last Conservative administration of SDC somehow forgot to take the decision on some 2-3 yeras ago which is why this administration is faced with the problem.

There is also a Government Bill, supported I assume by Mr Carmichael, progressing through Parliament at present, called the Local Audit Bill which if it becomes law changes the way SDC will have to be audited. At its heart are clauses requiring more openess & accountability by councils to the electorate. Mr Carmichael has tweeted re the Bill "....a further boost for localism & accountability". So now that SDC are working towards complying with what will become law is Mr Carmichael trying to work against the law his administration is passing. Supporters of the Market beware MPs bearing gifts.

Once again as a Tax payer who does not live in Stroud I object strongly to my contributions to the council being used to subsidise a Private Company trading in an open market in Stroud. Yes preserve the Market but let us not forget others who sudsidise it but do not use it.

#17 Re: Gerbs Market.

2013-12-19 11:53

#9: - Gerbs Market.

The council tax payer does not subsidise the Farmers Market. It subsidises the huge rent that the council pay for the Cornhill. The farmers market is the only venture making any worthwhile contribution to that bill other than the council tax payer. Gerb shouldn't be punished because the council have filed to mke best use of the space.

2013-12-19 14:13

Without the Farmers' Market the town and its shops will not survive. Stroud has flourished since the Market started and it is known as one of the best in the country.

#19 Re: Re: Gerbs Market.

2013-12-19 14:46

#17: - Re: Gerbs Market.

So paying the Market rent, paying for the clean up , paying for stalls and maintenance, paying for toilets, paying for staff to put up and take down stalls and waiving the street licence fee is what? Charity.

Stroud you need to wake up and get a grip on the actual costs of running a market.

2013-12-19 15:07

Top Market in the Country!
'If it's not broken, don't try to fix it'

2013-12-19 16:00

good idea this petition hope it does some good the market is a valuable part of Stroud and must continue as it is .

#22 Re: Re: Re: Gerbs Market.

2013-12-19 16:55

#19: - Re: Re: Gerbs Market.

There are clearly some financial issues to be balanced, including the fact that the regular farmers market avoids council tax payers funding a £40,000 pa compromise agreement to the owner of the Cornhill for SDC failing to run a regular market. But wouldn't it make marginally more sense to talk to people and negotiate a new licence, rather than rush through under the radar and without a vote a very risky measure that could lose the farmers market? That's a big price to pay for the town

2013-12-19 17:08

Why why why in this county do me have to change anything that works perfectly, so say made in our interests. Nobody asked me!!

2013-12-19 18:40

Getting high quality fresh organic veg from Stroud's farmer's market is a weekly pleasure. This is part of the pleasure. It is also a time when Stroud becomes vibrantly alive. It buzzes and it is a wonderful opportunity for social connection and relaxed outside shopping.I LOVE it and to bring it down in any way would be a very great mistake.
Rose

2013-12-20 19:22

The present format of the Farmers' Market brings welcome trade to Stroud as the quality of the traders is very good. Stroud is such a lively, welcoming place on Saturdays as a result and people come in from far and wide because of the Farmers' Market. Many of our self-catering and B&B guests come along, and lots of people from our village 10 miles away support it regularly. Do any of those charged with making decisions about the Market's future actually come along and support it? If they did, they would know in their hearts that changing its organisation/proprietor would be very counterproductive. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'