Intro. of Modern Foreign Languages + Culture to primary schools

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Intro. of Modern Foreign Languages + Culture to primary schools.

2014-06-21 05:57

This petition needs more visibility ...

2014-06-22 09:33

The teaching of modern languages in primary schools is vital and should never have been removed in the first place. It makes perfect sense to start teaching languages earlier and is the key to our economic future. Bring back modern languages in primary schools now!

2014-06-22 09:42

As a language teacher I firmly believe modern languages need to be taught at primary level. We will be left behind if we don't act quickly and reintroduce teaching them as soon as possible. We should follow the example of our UK neighbours who are introducing modern language teaching at primary in september. If not we will be left behind and our young people will not stand a chance when it comes to seeking employment on european and international level. Our government must act quickly to address this serious issue.

employmentat European and international level.

2014-06-23 00:29

I worked closely with the MLPSI in their final year 2011-2012 as part of my MA Ed. thesis. I have a great interest in exploring the impacts and advantages of learning modern languages at a young age. I was very impressed by the work of the teachers and all involved with the Initiative and disappointed to see funding being cut. I am firmly behind this petition and I am also available over the coming weeks should any assistance be required in making this petition more public.

2014-08-01 21:01

Languages and literacy go hand in hand. Getting rid of the initiative not only has a negative impact a child's language and cultural competence but also is to the detriment of other subjects. Early language learning actually increases literacy and numeracy scores overall. We are the only country bar Scotland which does not have a policy in place. It needs to change.

2021-10-06 07:49

What about this situation today? I hope everything gets back because I believe that kids should be taught languages earlier.

Gjest

#7 re:

2021-10-06 09:24

Hopefully, now it's possible for children to learn French or German in primary schools because kids consume information better than adults, so I think they should have the opportunity to consume actually important information that they will need in the future. I believe that it's necessary to know more than one language nowadays, and many people use apps like Duolingo and Babbel to master a language. Even I use Preply to learn German, and I'd be really happy if I was taught this language in primary school.

WillyWonka

#8 re:

2022-02-01 11:07

It would be nice if many educational institutions really taught the modern language, and not its classical form, which is almost impossible to use for communication in the modern world. I had a similar problem with Spanish. I've been learning it for many years, but now I had to find a teacher at https://livexp.com/skills/spanish to relearn it, since my knowledge can't be useful in spoken language.

2022-04-08 07:42

I totally understand. It's better to learn a language with a native speaker in order not to learn unnecessary info.

BalanceB

2022-04-08 09:26

That's true, but some people don't have the opportunity to practice with native speakers. For me, working with tutors is torture, so I decided to learn spanish lingopie, and I can say that when I watch TV shows and movies, it helps me improve my listening skills and increase my vocabulary, so I'm glad I managed to discover that platform.