Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Beth Baird

/ #128

2011-02-19 22:18

Here is the email that I sent to Mr. Sweeney after the vote.

Who exactly do you represent? Not anyone from this area that I have talked to. I am extremely dismayed that once again the community was asked for it's input and once again the overwhelming majority was ignored. If you are just truly going to vote on your own personal preference, then don't go through the illusion of asking our opinion as that only insults your constituents more.
If you truly want to help our students suceed and achieve, then the balanced calendar should have remained in place. Instead of considering the September week and February week as vacation weeks, intersessions should be put in place at each school. You would then be able to catch up those students who were not passing. These students would not have to wait until the summer vacation to get remediation. For those who fall behind at the beggining of the year, they are hopelessly lost by the time summer remediation takes place. Catch them early and often and they will achieve. Your almighty test scores will improve and Cobb County will rise to the top.
With the new longer summer, you can expect more regression over the long break. That means that much more time will now be spent on review and reteaching lost skills at the beginning of the school year. So you have basically just shortened the school year even more as those are lost instruction days as opposed to new learning days. Congratulations, you have just pushed Cobb County Schools back into the dark ages.