Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

#126 Re: Re: Re: Re: Calendar

2011-02-19 21:15

#23: Guest - Re: Re: Re: Calendar 

okay - but you are convoluting the true reasoning of the dispute (democracy). Please help keep it simple. Thank you -

stacey bass

2011-02-19 22:07

please bring back the balanced calendar.
Beth Baird

2011-02-19 22:18

Here is the email that I sent to Mr. Sweeney after the vote.

Who exactly do you represent? Not anyone from this area that I have talked to. I am extremely dismayed that once again the community was asked for it's input and once again the overwhelming majority was ignored. If you are just truly going to vote on your own personal preference, then don't go through the illusion of asking our opinion as that only insults your constituents more.
If you truly want to help our students suceed and achieve, then the balanced calendar should have remained in place. Instead of considering the September week and February week as vacation weeks, intersessions should be put in place at each school. You would then be able to catch up those students who were not passing. These students would not have to wait until the summer vacation to get remediation. For those who fall behind at the beggining of the year, they are hopelessly lost by the time summer remediation takes place. Catch them early and often and they will achieve. Your almighty test scores will improve and Cobb County will rise to the top.
With the new longer summer, you can expect more regression over the long break. That means that much more time will now be spent on review and reteaching lost skills at the beginning of the school year. So you have basically just shortened the school year even more as those are lost instruction days as opposed to new learning days. Congratulations, you have just pushed Cobb County Schools back into the dark ages.
Sweeney is a problem!

#129 Re:

2011-02-19 22:26

#128: Beth Baird -

Did you get an answer to your email?  I sent him an email before the board vote asking him to keep the 2010-2011 calendar and I did not even get a thank you for your email response.  That is not the way an elected official should treat the public.  Sweeney is a problem!

#130 Re: Re:

2011-02-19 22:36

#129: Sweeney is a problem! - Re:  

No reply. I did get a reply to my "Thank You!" to Linda Crowder email. She said she was very disappointed in the vote.

#131 Re: Calendar

2011-02-19 22:52

#20: - Calendar

Ha. yes. correct that please !

#132 Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-19 22:58

#81: shakes head - people need breaks? 

Funny how people who aren't in a classroom every day get to tell us how "easy" our jobs are and that we don't need breaks. The demands of a teacher are unreal and the workload continues to build with less resources. Please don't tell me our situation is laughable until you walk in my shoes!
robin benifield

#133 this time around

2011-02-19 23:12

The minority last year who didn't want the balanced calendar threatened a lawsuit and petition. This year it is sad that the majority has to circulate a petition to be heard. Ironic!
still shaking my head

#134 Re: Re: people need breaks?

2011-02-19 23:42

#132: Guest - Re: people need breaks? Funny how people who aren't in a classroom every day get to tell us how "easy" our jobs are and that we don't need breaks. The demands of a teacher are unreal and the workload continues to build with less resources. Please don't tell me our situation is laughable until you walk in my shoes!

I am a teacher.  I work a second job every break and summer to pay the bills.  Now what do you have to say?

I walk in your shoes every day, love my job, love working with kids, love seeing progress in my students.  In fact, I would wager in my position I am at school longer than you, on a daily basis, because on minimum, 3 nights a week I don't even get home until 9pm after working in the classroom, and working with programs after school.

So yes I shake my head at this fuss over a calender.

The lack of info from the board on the vote, yes, it would be nice to hear why they didn't listen to the survey, but this fuss that the balanced schedule is better for us is not the reason why the response is what it is....

Spencer Brown

#135 Why?

2011-02-19 23:55

Obviously this is the greatest schedule of all time, and going into this new schedule is ridiculous, take off the first two days of winter break? Guess how many people will miss those days. And then all the high school exams will be scheduled on those two days, not smart Cobb County, not smart.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-02-20 00:06

Theresa Jansen

#137 School Calendar for Cobb County, GA, USA

2011-02-20 00:16

We have already registered for a trip during February, 2012. We will not miss the cruise because the trip was cancelled by the school board when they changed the calendar.
Robin Cole

#138 re: August 1st Calander

2011-02-20 00:28

Impeachment Stultz in 6 months. He doesn't even care about his wife's (who is a cobb county teacher) opinion, so he doesn't care about other teachers as well.
Tammy G

#139 VERY HAPPY WITH AUGUST 15th

2011-02-20 00:37

Why in the world would you all want to lose 2 wks of your summer??? I am sooo tired of starting so dam early. I wish it didnt start until Sept!!! I voted for August 17th not sure how they came up with the 15th but thats fine with me :O)

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-02-20 01:00

#142 Sign this petition if you want to keep it august 15th lol

2011-02-20 01:05

#143 Re: Re: VERY HAPPY WITH AUGUST 15th

2011-02-20 01:05

Michelle King

2011-02-20 01:09

How are we saving money by not having the balanced calendar? Heat is not being used for a wk in Feb. and the amount of money saved by not using subs in the schools because teachers used the Sept/Feb break to make dr. appts. So, how does this not save money? It is also too long on teachers AND kids to go from Labor Day to Thanksgiving w/o a day off. Same is true from Winter Break to Spring Break and don't even say we get MLK and Presidents day off because that isn't a break and I believe President's Day is a teacher wk day anyway. I just don't see how the majority of a vote doesn't win.