Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition for the August 1st Calendar.

#152 1312 to 5 as of 6:17 Eastern 2/19/2011

2011-02-20 01:16

Laura Hirsch

#155 August 1 Balance School Calendar

2011-02-20 02:03

The county has spoken, loudly and decisively....we want our balanced school calendar THAT WAS VOTED AND APPROVED to be placed back on the books. It is outrageous that the majority of the school board refuses to listen to their constituants. Shame on you. We WILL vote you out.
Robin G.

2011-02-20 02:04

The issue is much bigger and much more serious than just the calendar!

We were promised a balanced calendar for three years. New board members ran on a platform to change this and this was not their right!

Not only this, they asked us for our votes once again and then completely dismissed the results even though they were overwhelmingly in favor of keeping the current calendar.

If this was not enough, they even ignored the recommendations of their Superintendent to keep the promised three-year balanced calendar.

This shows not only blatant disregard for the policies already set in place but a total disrespect for authority and for the opinions of the parents, students, teachers and administrators they serve.

IF they are allowed to get away with this what will they do next?!

#157 Re: August 1 Balance School Calendar

2011-02-20 02:10

Honest Republican

#158 re: August 1st Calander

2011-02-20 02:11

Stultz....you sold your soul to the devil...The devil being Otis Brumby. How much did he pay you? You are not a republican. Republicans are for the people.

2011-02-20 02:17

The board should have honored the 3 yr committment. If data showed balanced schedule was not in best interest of our students, then it could be changed, and teachers would be receptive if proven that a balanced schedule is harmful. It seems better for my students.
Claudia Bechtel

#160 give balanced calendar a chance!

2011-02-20 02:52

I love the balanced calendar! give it a chance!!!!!

#161 Re: Sign this petition if you want to keep it august 15th lol

2011-02-20 02:59

#142: - Sign this petition if you want to keep it august 15th lol 

Let's see, once again it is obvious what the majority wants! 

Petitions: August 1st, 1375 signatures.  August 15th, 5 signatures. 

Sometimes when we take votes in my classroom I have to explain to my students that they might not like the outcome of a vote, but it is the only fair way to make decisions that affect everyone.  Too bad that my 1st graders are so much smarter than the 4 school board members.

Michelle Letts

#162 School Calendar

2011-02-20 03:21

To my understanding, over 70% of the county and 80% of the teachers voted to keep the balanced calendar (the calendar that was promised to us for 3 years) in place. Why was the calendar changed for 30% of the district? The explanations that have been offered to date, do not seem to hold water. I think what seems to have most people angry about this change (as there has been much dialogue amongst Cobb County residents over this recent board vote) was the blatant disregard of the wishes of the majority of teachers and parents. We need to know what we can do to change the calendar back to what the majority of Cobb County wants. We need direction on how to mobilize and affect change.
Anne Thomas

#163 Calendar

2011-02-20 03:27

As a teacher I find that during a typical year the high school students need a break in Feb. Sept. is not as critical but as the year progresses, they seem to need a moment to rest as it is such a long time between the beginning of Jan. until spring break. If we could have done the 3 year cycle trying the calendar we would be able to have data drive the decision.

#164 Re: School Calendar

2011-02-20 03:28

#162: Michelle Letts - School Calendar

I agree--will this petition really help?  What else can we do?

Jack McRae

2011-02-20 03:34

We can not allow this travesty. These self serving board members MUST GO!
John Wallace

#166 Let the original vote results stand

2011-02-20 04:17

Why have a vote if the board is so easily intimidated by mob style tactics?
Lisa Kennedy

#167 Balanced calendar vote

2011-02-20 05:12

I am dismayed to have experienced the utter disregard for the wishes of those in Cobb County by Allison Bartlett, Tim Stultz, Kathleen Angelucci and Scott Sweeney. Their votes were very obviously not based upon the feedback they received from their constituents. Their inability to work within the parameters of their positions will certainly effect the search for a new, great superintendent.

#168 Re: Re: Re: Keep August 15th. FIX CHRISTMAS BREAK

2011-02-20 05:22

#153: Guest - Re: Re: Keep August 15th. FIX CHRISTMAS BREAK 

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. If you wanted a decent winter holiday schedule you should have voted for the balanced calendar. Each of the possible schedules was posted with the survey and the ridiculous lack of time prior to Christmas was quite obvious in the August 15th calendar.

Valerie

#169 Re: Spelling

2011-02-20 05:30

#4: Ray - Spelling

YES!  It was pointed out to me on my FB page...kind of embarrassing ... it is C A L E N D A R ...  hopefully with energized teachers, the kids will learn to spell better than their parents..!

Valerie

#170 Spelling error in Petition Name: it's Calendar not Calender

2011-02-20 05:31

I hope someone can fix the spelling. : ) Great that the petition exists, and I appreciate it.

#171 Re: Balanced school year calendar

2011-02-20 05:35

#1: Tami Gallagher - Balanced school year calendar 

I do not understand why the voters of this petition want an 8/1 start date.  There are so many reasons not to have this early date.  In fact, I would recommend a start date after labor day.  This is better all around.  Let's not have all of the silly breaks throughout the year and allow our kids and our families to have an enjoyable summer break!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2011-02-20 05:41

#173 Re: Re: Balanced school year calendar

2011-02-20 05:56

#171: Guest - Re: Balanced school year calendar 

It's two breaks. And The summer would have still been 9 weeks long. How is that not enough time to spend with family? Plus families will be with you during the breaks!

#174 Re: School Calendar for Cobb County, GA, USA

2011-02-20 06:00

#137: Theresa Jansen - School Calendar for Cobb County, GA, USA

Don't worry, I won't be changing my plans either.  I will take my kids out of school in September 2011 for the cruise that I booked 3 weeks ago.  It is absolutely ridiculous that they decide to change the calendar less than 6 months away.  The decision for the balanced calendar was for 3 years and they should have waited for the 3 years before making an assessment, period.

#175 Re: VOTER FRAUD

2011-02-20 06:05

#76: Cant trust the results. - VOTER FRAUD 

I agree.  Reports of people voting hundreds of times.