NO MORE POISONING IN DAHAB!

Selma

/ #26 @ Sharaf: Define "foreigner" please ...

2011-04-10 00:03

Dear Sharaf - reading your lines I wonder if you have a slight problem with the fact that Dahab's local community is a mixture of many different nationalities. Are the ones who are living here since more than a decade and who brought business to Dahab "foreigners"???
Don't they have a voice that should be respected as well and a right to interact with their surrounding conditions?
What type of "culture" needs to throw poison over the walls of people that are living since years in Dahab, who kept their dogs since years, prepared them with microchips to enable travelling ... Honestly Is this a "habit" that should be supported?

Nobody denies that there are a lot of problems with people which are acting irresponsible. But Dahab is a place that lives from tourism - lives from foreigners. It is not new that tourism causes many types of problems - it does it all over the world. This means to open the eyes and find a way to actively deal with it - not blaming the ones, who's money is so welcome for the trouble they might cause.
Tourism is a mixes blessing - everybody knows this. To enforce tourism in any possible way (... come to my shop my friend ...) but at the same time shift the blame for upcoming local problems on it, is just pathetic and hypocritical and doesn't show any feeling for responsibility.

So if not a "foreign" driven initiative for a start - what is the better alternative? To wait and wait and wait and wait until finally someone who's ancestors ancestors already have been living in Dahab does the first step? How long e.g. do all people that live in Dahab have to wait until the "local" children have been successfully tought by someone (local - I suppose) that animals - even dirty street animals - are no toys?

It it really the nationality or origin or religion of the initiator(s) that makes the change?