ISD #728 Administration

gerh0020

/ #15 District Delimiters

2014-01-08 15:16

Hello. I am the parent of a kindergartner as well as two preschool age children. It never occurred to me, up until this point, to send my children to somewhere other than our neighborhood public school to receive their education. I feel my daughter has had a very compromised education due to the fact she does not have access to Physical Education as well as Art. She is the type of kid (as the vast majority are, I believe) that needs time for activity and creativity. I see it myself time and time again at home - after rigorous activity, she is ready to focus on her sight words and other homework that her teacher has assigned. I can't say enough great things about her teacher - she is doing a wonderful job doing what she can with the shortened day. However, it is sad to me that my daughter talks about "getting to do what she wants" during Friday's writing workshop. This tells me that she is in need of more creative outlets during her school week. Also, in regards to foreign language, my daughter's teacher is already doing that with her students in class.

The proposed middle school changes are baffling to me. Computer coding? The last thing children need is more screen time. It is my understanding (from speaking with my neighbors) that students are accessing technology in almost every class! Technology is wonderful tool to enhance learning, I don't believe that computer coding is a necessary class. Maybe the schools can start an after school club for those who want to learn computer coding? Maybe Community Education could provide classes in this area? Physical Education and Health cuts at the middle school level would be terrible for the students. Kids NEED activity as well as information in regards to health, wellness, nutrition, fitness and teamwork. These skills (especially teamwork) are vital to being a good employee and coworker. Also, hasn't there been an increase in overweight children?

Finally, as far as "losing" students. I have had many conversations with parents in our neighborhood about this. On my street my children are the only kids attending Elk River public schools. Several have stated that it is the class sizes that have deterred them from sending their kids to our neighborhood school. One mother shared that she sent her son to Spectrum because she thought the math curriculum was moving too quickly for her son at Elk River High School.

Please, please, Elk River School board and administration stop these changes and take a look at other options.