Support CT National Dragway

/ #138

2014-01-16 23:42

The benefit from the proposed facility is obvious: unique interesting family activities not otherwise available within ~100 miles, safe venue for car-savvy folks, particularly young people, and, based upon plenty of historical data, very low risk of poor participation. Other states (such as California) have relied so heavily upon these sorts of organized activities to reduce irresponsible street behavior (in cars)that the support to maintain such facilities is part of their culture. The real question, here, is whether the fear of something "new" will be enough to discourage locals who have never even been to a similar facility. I would strongly recommend educating all within the approval chain based upon an understanding of their perceived fears rather than repetitively plead based upon personal desire (hey- I would LOVE a LOCAL dragstrip at which to race my car- believe me). The Richmond, RI attempt was apparently killed by local opposition fearing noise, traffic and "disruption", including "increased crime" (a friend who lives there told me). The Quonset Pt. attempt apparently passed all local opposition and was killed for "homeland security" reasons (according an involved racer friend). Learning as much as possible about locals' fears and providing a credible, reassuring risk mitigation plan will be key. Be ready to compromise , at least initially, i.e. hours of operation, and noise creation (perhaps all cars would be muffled during weekday evenings, no light-off before 10 am on weekends, etc). The locals hold the key. Period.