KEEP THE TRADITION OF SALMON NETTING ON THE TAMAR TAVY

undercover economist

/ #55 Tamar Salmon

2014-04-02 06:47

I do not know the river that well but have read all the posts with great interest. I can understand why the traditions of the netsman are being appealed by some here, but also understand the plight of the salmon who's numbers have declined enormously.
However, I can not see how the arguments for the wealthy against the poor are in anyway valid? I presume, that due to Salmon fishing with rod a line, many "working class" people are in employment. Who looks after the river, who maintains the river banks, access, habitats. What about all the staff who are in employment for the service industry, hotels, guest houses and such. What about the small independent outdoor shops who service the visiting tourist anglers. What about the restaurants who cater for the visiting anglers. It seems that the netsman, 3 in number, are a very tiny piece of the Cornish and Devonian jigsaw who could potentially have a hugely pernicious effect to the SW economy. Think of the outcome for the hundreds of working men and women who will lose their lively hood in the southwest if the nets are allowed to take, what seems like a precious resource out of the economy. Not to mention, a creature that has been part of the river for centuries. This as a modern world where we all need to stand up and protect the greater good, hopefully common sense will prevail. Best wishes