West Liberty University College Hall & Ceramics

A

/ #70 #70

2015-04-22 18:03

As art students, throughout elementary, middle, and high school we experience budget cuts to the art departments and a whole lot of "we needed the money elsewhere". I didn't think that it would come to this in college - especially a college such as WLU where I feel, as a graduating senior, I have never been shortened in my creativity since the resources are here. As a major of the arts and experiencing the ceramics lab, I feel that it grew me as an artist and as a human being. Lambros is a great professor, I, like many others, have learned so much from him. Ceramics is more than a craft or skill, but a discipline - one that many majors enjoy. We are held to a standard of being responsible for the use of the building; keeping track of work, cleaning up, reusing as much material as possible. Which brings me to my next point of how it couldn't possibly be saving that much money by shutting it down. Many people utilize this space for projects as huge as senior show and as little as trying to make graduation requirements or just experimenting.

We have to shut down the Annex building and College Hall to "save money" when there's Cambell Hall? Not to mention an entire floor of that building not even being used. Let's talk about the moral being already low amongst students, let's go add to that and minimize an awesome program and department. Let's talk about how retention has been down. Do you think more music majors will stay or even come here if there is no space for them to perform?

I love West Liberty University, but this deeply saddens me. I fear for the future of the department credibility being lowered, especially as I graduate with a degree from here that I know is a credible degree thanks to the art professors and the resources that have been made available during my time here.