West Liberty University College Hall & Ceramics

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition West Liberty University College Hall & Ceramics.

2015-04-22 12:20

I do not see how either the music or arts programs would thrive without these two buildings. If these cuts are made, West Liberty should immediately change it's brochure advertising to prospective students, and be honest about the spaces they will offer, so that anyone considering those majors will make the smart decision to choose another university that cares about their needs.

2015-04-22 14:13

I went to Glenville State College and I have friends at West Liberty University. That loves music and if you take that away from them they will be forever in sorrow.

2015-04-22 14:15

I know Robin Capehart from being a member of the same church. I was always raised to stick by your family, your friends, and your Chruch Family.

I blindly followed him through my tenure at West Liberty, not knowing that he was wrongfully using the colleges resources for him and his daughters personal gain. It saddens me that someone I looked up to once has done something so greedy.

Now his actions are costing the school dearly. The buidlings I had establisbed memories in is on th chopping block. I signed this petition so that it will stand as a testament that we wont go down without a fight.

#strengthinnumbers

2015-04-22 14:23

The Ceramics department of West Liberty is what drew me to this college from Maryland. I have lived,worked ad raised my family here in West Virginia for 42 years. I always tell people "ceramics at WL is how I got here."

2015-04-22 14:35

My name is Tara Bailey, formerly Tara Train. I'm an alumni of West Liberty State College and firmly disagree with closing these two buildings. While attending WLSC from 2000-2004, I was a part of the campus activities board. We used College Hall for many of our events such as Craig Karges, numerous comedians, and much more. There is no better space on campus for these types of events. I graduated in 2004 with a BS in graphic design, so the arts are very important to me. I urge you to find a way to keep these buildings around!

2015-04-22 14:44

I am a teacher, and I understand the vital importance of the Arts, and sufficient facilities for the Arts. I am a friend of alumnus Gary Henzler. His work is gorgeous, and he learned his craft at West Liberty. How many Gary Henzlers will be turned away if this plan goes into effect? Reconsider, please.

2015-04-22 14:46

I'm a 2005 West Liberty Alum who minored in Theater.

2015-04-22 15:08

This would hurt the college of music it's the best school around for this education!!!

2015-04-22 15:31

Because my daughter go's to that collage

2015-04-22 15:37

I believe ceramic arts are very important regardless of your career choice

2015-04-22 15:50

My son graduated from WLU and he still has friends who go to this school. Many students can't afford to go to the larger colleges and this is a perfect fit for them. Please keep these facilities open!

2015-04-22 15:54

Although I am a dental hygiene major, I am currently taking dance courses which requires use of the ballet studio in Blatnik. An amazing role model, dancer, teacher, and friend, Jill Howard is working to get a dance minor in the Fall of 2015 and eventually a dance major as well. This is so important to me as dance has saved my life in so many different ways emotionally and physically. Being a senior and starting the dental hygiene program in the fall, I will not have time to enter a dance minor but would be thrilled to have other students be able to have this opportunity. When it comes down to it, space is limited at West Liberty University, making it hard for every student to fulfill their needs and requirements as certain majors and minors call for. Without proper space and working areas, it is nearly impossible to be able to learn the material and work hands on as a college student should be able to. I feel music and art majors/minors are just as important as any other major at WLU and we, the students, should not be punished by taking away our working space. I hope you read this and see that it does make a difference to give back to the ones that work so hard but receive so little in return as Amanda has explained in this petition. Every student at WLU deserves proper working areas, teachers, skills and techniques, and compassion for their individual career choice path. Please keep these buildings open as they do matter to us. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Erika de la Cruz

#63 Losing Even More Students

2015-04-22 16:26

My daughter, Elissabeth Parsons, is a student there majoring in Broadcasting and Art and my daughter, Amber, is a junior in high school and was planning on attending West Liberty for theater and education after she graduates, but if they close the theater department and part of the Arts program, they may both have to go else where.  I'm sure my daughters aren't the only students they will lose if these proposed closures take place.

Valerie Parsons

2015-04-22 16:29

Music alumna

2015-04-22 16:33

I am a ceramic artist from wheeling. I think it's important to keep it right where it is. Viva la lambros
Jeishi

#66 This is important to have.

2015-04-22 16:35

I think this should stay right where it is. 

2015-04-22 16:35

I am a graduate and would hate to see the diminishment of The Arts from an educational institution that has come so far. WLU must keep this facility open and support a well rounded curriculum.

2015-04-22 17:29

West Liberty University has a good Music and Arts programs and this will ruin both.

2015-04-22 17:31

This upsets me greatly. These students have as much right to have access to these facilities as much as the football team does with the field.
A

#70 #70

2015-04-22 18:03

As art students, throughout elementary, middle, and high school we experience budget cuts to the art departments and a whole lot of "we needed the money elsewhere". I didn't think that it would come to this in college - especially a college such as WLU where I feel, as a graduating senior, I have never been shortened in my creativity since the resources are here. As a major of the arts and experiencing the ceramics lab, I feel that it grew me as an artist and as a human being. Lambros is a great professor, I, like many others, have learned so much from him. Ceramics is more than a craft or skill, but a discipline - one that many majors enjoy. We are held to a standard of being responsible for the use of the building; keeping track of work, cleaning up, reusing as much material as possible. Which brings me to my next point of how it couldn't possibly be saving that much money by shutting it down. Many people utilize this space for projects as huge as senior show and as little as trying to make graduation requirements or just experimenting.

We have to shut down the Annex building and College Hall to "save money" when there's Cambell Hall? Not to mention an entire floor of that building not even being used. Let's talk about the moral being already low amongst students, let's go add to that and minimize an awesome program and department. Let's talk about how retention has been down. Do you think more music majors will stay or even come here if there is no space for them to perform?

I love West Liberty University, but this deeply saddens me. I fear for the future of the department credibility being lowered, especially as I graduate with a degree from here that I know is a credible degree thanks to the art professors and the resources that have been made available during my time here.

2015-04-22 18:49

To save the ARTS!!!

2015-04-22 19:59

This is absolutely insane. The arts has a major effect on our surroundings and takes a place in everyone's heart. To take that away from students is criminal.

2015-04-22 21:10

I am so disappointed West Liberty is not more committed to the Arts and Music programs. Education should take precedence over athletics, etc.. Surely there are other budgetary cuts to consider, ones that would not impact these important programs. I have some suggestions if the university is interested in hearing from concerned citizens.

2015-04-22 21:37

How dare an institution take away the use of the ONLY PERFORMANCE SPACE they offer to a MUSIC PROGRAM with a specialization in PERFORMANCE. How dare they take full tuition from some of the kids going to school for a PERFORMANCE degree only to cut their opportunities in half. It is beyond me, how a university that claims to foster growth in every program it offers, would contribute to the detriment of several. Not to mention programs that they have had for years, and continue to neglect constantly, that STILL, despite that neglect continue to produce fruitful students. It is not my intent to undermine other programs on campus; however, if you have fallen on such financially difficult times, what if you stopped pouring money into a multi million dollar football facility that houses a program that doesn't even come close to pulling in as much money as you dump into it. If the administration hasn't already done so much damage that the school doesn't close by the time I finally finish my terminal degree and surely have enough to give, you will most certainly not be seeing a penny from me. If as an alumni I wasn't already pissed off enough from the alumni association picking my pocket as a requirement to graduate, they will surely seal the deal by letting this happen. I am ashamed that a university that I am proud to hold a degree from, could disappoint me to this level. 

2015-04-22 21:43

As a former art student of WLU, both areas in question are invaluable resources for the students. Space could probably be found for the College Hall functions, but the ceramics studio needs to stay or be relocated on campus.