Concerns:The Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act

/ #26

2015-06-21 01:07

I feel too many times we make changes in the wrong direction because of the misleading language used to persuade, not educate, that cause more negative and long lasting damage effects in the future. I feel this decision should be based only on scientific research and/or study and interpreted by qualified professionals. Do some research on prison populations in regards to mental illness or impairment. More than half of our jails and/or prisons are populated by mentally ill or impaired prisoners and/or inmates. These persons have not had adequate or much needed ongoing treatment and therefore many are not just for the first or second time. I am sure you could operate at significantly reduced cost in hospitalization with what you are presenting ,but don't you already operate with significant reduced cost being that if studied you would find that most of our mentally ill and/or impaired already being in jail or prison? I guess, "out of sight, out of mind". Check solitary confinement and I would be willing to bet that about 90% of those being housed in solitary confinement are and have been mentally and/or impaired. I am so glad there are qualified professionals that can see through your persuasive language.