Please Cancel Wendy Williams Off Of B.E.T

/ #4

2016-07-10 09:52

Wendy's comments are so often in conflict with the objectives and ideals of BET- which is to inform, to entertain and to uplift black people.

I love BET. I have admired Wendy for her achievements - she is talented and she is entertaining. I have however been uncomfortable and sometimes angered by some of her frequent denigrating comments of black people in order to pander to white audiences. A majority of the time her denigrating comments have fallen within the parameters of entertainment- (from Rihanna to Oprah) which I have sometimes overlooked, but I think Wendy is seriously losing her way.

There are serious issues affecting black people in the USA and all over the world. Black people are being murdered in the United States are subjected to unfair treatment, both socially and economically.

Wendy's recent comments questioned the existence of Historically Black Colleges, and she attempted to qualify that comment by stating that she would be offended if there were historically white colleges. To compound matters, she made these comments alongside comments that the speech by Jesse Williams at the BET awards was 'what it was' and 'would rub people the wrong way'

Wendy's comments were another desperate attempt to pander to white audiences at the expense of black people including those who are campaigning for change in this revolutionary period.

The world sees what is happening.

BET is a huge platform for ANY entertainer regardless of their colour or creed. Those who have the privilege to use that platform must not be allowed to fall foul of the objectives of BET.

No one is asking Wendy to be a revolutionary. She could have just stuck to celebrity gossip and remained neutral on sensitive or important issues. I would never query that.

Unfortunately, her comments were neither informative nor entertaining. Rather than to uplift, her comments only served to anger, discourage and dampen the spirits of all those who want a better condition for black people all over the world.

This does not necessarily have to be the end of her career. She may go on to 'entertain' on other channels.

Just No Longer on BET.