Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

One for Compromise

/ #175 Re: Re:

2012-01-16 20:17

#167: - Re:

- This is not a fact.  This is your opinion.  Many people viewed the LAST election as a referendum.  That is one of the reasons why John, John, and Holli are no longer on the board, and no one supporting the August 1 calendar was elected.

- Since the election is in November, there will be no change in the vote on the calendar next Fall unless one of the existing board members changes their vote.

- Since the community requested (and I believe the board concured) to no longer make changes to the calendar less than 1 year before a published calendar begins, a potentially new board supporting an August 1 date calendar wouldn't vote till late 1/13 for a calendar that would start 1/14.

It is my opinion, based upon fact that there were large amounts of people who took the time to take that poll, only to have the board go in the opposite direction. And you have the fall-out from that, all the way to discussions of recall, accredability and other complaints. And the fact that you have so many people showing up to the board meetings, still angry regarding the decision. The traditional calendar is just not as popular as the balanced calendar, point blank, and those people standing in opposition to it will come out and vote against the candidate that went against it.

But we'll see in November, but I wouldn't want to bet anything on the traditional calendar living past 2012.

But instead of going back and forth, back and forth- let's fix the balanced calendar by having a later start date, breaks at the end of the first 9 weeks and February, and everyone can claim victory.