Petition for a Balanced Calendar in Cobb Schools

Common Sense thinker

/ #243

2012-01-18 06:49

You have got to be kidding me. I can't believe some of the crap I'm reading. Since when does having a balanced calendar give anyones family more time to be together. The calendar doesn't change the number of days of school each year, it only changes when the students are out. Also, I keep reading about the balanced calendar giving teachers time to re-energize. The average person not working in education only gets 2-4 weeks a year off so teachers have it made when it comes to having time off to get re-energized. Even with the standard calendar teachers get a week off in Nov., 2 weeks at Christmas and another week in April; not counting 10-12 weeks during the summer.
Whether people realize it or not, or like it or not, tax revenue does play a role in this so if you don't want to pay higher property taxes you might want to wake up and smell the roses.
Also, when people claim they want what's best for the students they need to stop and think about what they're saying. With a balanced school calendar it puts our students that want a part-time job at a serious disadvantage to other standard calendar students. Employers want part-timers that can work the whole summer, not just part of it. It also makes it difficult for students involved in extracurricular activities (i.e.- band, football, cheerleading, etc.) to participate in summer programs (i.e.- camps, Boy Scout high adventure trips, etc.) because they're returning to school during the middle of summer, so if you want what's best for students a balanced calendar is NOT the way to go. Think about it.