Save Creative Writing in TAFE

Pam Collings

/ #40 An older person's view

2010-11-25 08:52

As an older person who completed this course in 2004 at NMIT, it was invaluable to me and helped me to become a much better writer and editor. I have used the skills learned to earn income and will continue to do so for a few year's yet, I hope. There was no way I was going to head off to university to undertake a demanding degree course that was not necessary for me to gain the knowledge I needed. The TAFE based course was definitely something I felt I could handle (psychologically). The work, however, was still demanding and helped me produce excellent results.

There really is no need to have courses feed directly into industry. There MUST be courses available that people can undertake that will enable them to gain skills they can use outside of industry.

All I have ever wanted to do with my life, was to write. When I left secondary school over 30 years ago, there were no courses anywhere that could cater for someone wanting to write creatively. When I found the PWE it was like a dream come true. I would really hate to see it killed just because dollars get in the way.