Request to cancel the PSAC and TB vote (PA, SV and EB groups)

Tracy Hayter

/ #227 Really?

2010-12-24 03:31

#127: - Really? 

Thank you for your comments. However, it is not a matter of private v. public. There is nothing stopping anyone in Canada from applying and working for the government. Simply go to www.jobs.gc.ca and apply. What is happening here is a direct attack against women, visual minorities and those with disabilities. The only group that has lost their severance is comprised mostly of these traditionally disadvantaged persons. It is not the MPs, the Prime Minister, the Executive groups that have lost money, it is our mothers, our sisters, our sons and our daughters, it is you and your neighbour that have lost out on even an opportunity to better your life for yourself and your family. I just don't know where this competition to see who has it worse off comes from. The only people that benefit from that are the corporate heads and politicians.

I should also mention here that I worked for many years in the private sector and actually took a bit of a pay cut to work for the government, but that was ok, because the government offered severance and a better pension. I do not need maternity leave top up or family leave days, but I most certainly wouldn't begrudge someone else for having it. I did like the freedom that the private sector offered and the opportunity for advancement. There is too much politics in the public sector. It's hard on morale.  There are pros and cons to public v private and it is a choice that a person makes when they decide to work for the government. But that is the nice thing about Canada. We have choice and freedom and the ability to make a change.

I do not think people are upset over losing severance, I think they are upset because not everyone is giving up severance. I am pretty sure if Mr. Harper stood up tomorrow and said, Hi Canada we are in tough economic times and as a show of how we are all in this together effective immediately we all give up our severance. And Mr. Gordon followed suit we wouldn't be having this discussion.