Citizens Opposed to the Toll Road

Todd Short - CO Native

/ #11 Muller or nothing

2011-01-27 19:20

I was impressed when Golden adopted the Muller plan. I saw it as a great step forward to integrate the East and West sides of Golden and make it a cohesive town, something which it has lacked due to being cut into quadrants by major roads and highways.

To think that the proposed toll road will not bring future sprawl is to completely ignore what's happened and is proposed all along E-470. Do we really want Golden to look like East Aurora? Toll roads benefit only a select few, and to allow a private company to come in and give them the ability control future planning of any roads surrounding the toll road through non compete agreements is simply selling out the interests of the citizens of the towns effected by the toll road.

This new "compromise" (if you can even call it that) is nothing short of abandoning the Muller plan and the interests of a majority of the citizens of Golden. I have yet to meet a single person that thinks the parkway is a good idea for Golden, much less abandoning the city's position on Muller.

I urge our elected officials to not accept this new "compromise". Stick to the plan that the city originally approved. The Parkway needs Golden's approval to work, but Golden does not need the parkway, so we do not need to negotiate away our town. It's bad enough that Golden is getting a reputation like Greeley due to the smell of the waste treatment facility at Coors as people come into the city on Highway 58, but giving up the quality of life and small town atmosphere the citizens of Golden appreciate so much could transform Golden into a place where many of those same citizens will no longer want to live. The bottom line, the full Muller plan is in Golden's best interest - bailing out on that plan now for little or no guaranteed benefit is not.